Planning for my journey

Hello all, my name is Sam McCart.

Apologies if this has been covered already. I’ve looked but couldn’t find it.

I’ve been doing some research and feel I have a good general understanding of what it’s going to take to become a pilot. So far here’s what I’ve learned;
• 1,500 hours to get to the regionals
• ATP is the most efficient path
• Once you graduate it’s best to become a CFI with ATP to build up your hours.
• This community is amazing :grinning:

I currently am halfway through getting my B.S. and have roughly 2 years before I can enroll in ATP. I am contemplating getting my PPL in these two years (although not sure about the benefit of doing it now vs. with ATP). I am pretty proficient with Microsoft Excel and accounting so I plan to build up a side gig in these two years to supplement the income planning for being out of work for a minimum of 7 months.

My question is this; I’ve noticed there are multiple different ratings to get, however, which ones will I want to focus on in order to give me the best opportunities? Thank you.

Tags: #college #ATP #ratings #bachelors

Sam,

Your basic understanding of correct (particularly about this community being awesome! :wink:) but I’m not really sure what you’re referring to when you ask about “multiple ratings” and which to “focus” on? The program includes all the required licenses and ratings, ALL are required for success and ALL need you l your focus.

Adam

Sam,

Welcome to the forum! We’re glad you’re here and you’ve found it helpful so far.

First things first, we recommend you just focus on finishing out your degree and wait to start your PPL with ATP. Multitasking school and flight training isn’t a good idea, and you won’t really end up saving yourself any money in the log run. Plus it’s better off to start your airline oriented training from the very beginning because the foundation is critically important to your future success.

As for the ratings, the ACPP has all the ratings that you need incorporated in the program timeline. You need private, instrument, commercial and multi engine add on for the prerequisites for an ATP certificate at 1500 hours. The CFI/CFII and MEI ratings provide you the training you need to be able to instruct to build your time and make an income.

Hannah

@Adam - Not an awesome community, an AMAZING community :wink: . Basically, I was wondering if there are any additional ratings I would want to add on or look at pursuing to give me a ‘leg up’ in the eyes of the legacy airlines. It’s good to know that ATP includes everything I will need.

@Hannah - I’m definitely focused on that (finishing out the degree) :). Thank you for the insight into getting my private now or later. That helps tremendously.

Awesome, amazing, tomato, toMAto,c it’s all good.

When your take your writtens (if you’re feeling motivated) you can also take the AGI (Advanced Ground Instructor) or IGI (Instrument Ground Instructor) exams and get the affiliated rating(s). Both are required to earn your Gold Seal which looks good on your resume and will also help if you have any aspirations to get into the training dept at your airline if/when the time comes.

Adam

Sam,

ATP will help you to earn all of the ratings needed for the airlines. There really are not any others you would want to consider, unless you find that airline that flys amphibious jets :slight_smile:

Chris

1 Like

@Chris - that’s my real goal is to get to the amphibious airlines.