Planning future?

Hi my name Is Brian Dusabe I am writing this to get recommendations and insight into what to do to become an airline pilot and the steps taken by the pilots on the thread, I am in high school at the moment and graduate in May, I am determined to become a pilot and am considering applying to join the American Airlines Cadet Academy as they offer a position as a paid CFI to build hours to the required threshold to become competitive for a regional position. Would you recommend this or a different path.

Brian,

A couple of things. First off many programs (including ATPs) will provide the opportunity to work as a paid CFI so this is nothing unique. The fine print however is that will be based on demand and if they don’t need instructors there could be a long wait. ATP, being the largest in the country with over 70 locations, ALWAYS has a need for instructors so there’s that to consider.

Another thing is you have quite a few years before you’ll be able to fly for a Major. Many things can and do change and Id be hesitant to tie myself to any one airline.

Last you don’t mention college? While all the airlines have dropped their degree requirement it remains a preferred and desired quality. I’d encourage you to continue your education before starting your flight training.

Adam

Brian,

There are many different paths to becoming an airline pilot. I recommend checking out these two links:

I am not a fan of the AA Cadet Program, simply because so little is known about them and their succeeds rates. Plus, there truly is no such thing as the AA Cadet Academy, it is simply various flight schools that they contract out their training to.

Chris

I appreciate the Response Adam, I was considering going to a community college in the dead time between my application and acceptance and getting my Associates, and while I fly for regional finish with either online or in person to get a bachelors for the Majors, but I believe I am making it sound to simplistic and straight forward to what I can expect in reality but I will try.

Thank you Chris, I have heard negative things about the AA Cadet Program so I will definitely explore ATP as they have a proven history and the fast paced pipeline/program I am desiring.

Brian,

Not simplistic at all but it’s good you recognize that it won’t be easy. Def doable though.

Adam

Brian,

No problem, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris