Seniority Question

If you are assigned to a certain aircraft and a bunch of pilots senior to you bid for that aircraft, is it possible for you to be reassigned to a different aircraft which is more junior? For example, let’s say you are just senior enough to bid to be a 737 captain position. But, many pilots senior to you bid for the 737 captain position after you have upgraded. Would you then lose the 737 captain position and be forced into another seat or aircraft?

I hope this makes sense,

Rob

Rob,

Your question makes perfect sense. If the airline is growing and having “vacancy bids” then no, you will not get displaced. However, if the airline is shrinking and running “displacement bids” then you can get displaced to another aircraft, position (Captain or FO) or base.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that makes sense.

Rob

Robert,

There’s another factor in the scenario you present. As Chris said getting displaced is rare (unless the airline is shrinking as Chris said OR they’re phasing out the airplane you’re on. In my case however I’m at the bottom of the 717 seniority list and once there, I’m there. The problem is however that as positions become available, the slots are being filled by pilots senior to me and my schedule has been getting progressively worse. It’s still a great gig but I’ve actually been moving backwards in seniority on the aircraft.

Adam

Adam, I think your co-workers have been reading your posts here and realized how good of a gig that is :blush:

1 Like

Exactly! Very annoying.

Adam