Seniority, Seniority, Seniority

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Is this an issue you have seen first hand?

I have absolutely seen this first hand at not only United but at SkyWest too. With such intense hiring, First Officers are getting some seniority relatively quickly. It’s the opposite with captains. No one wants to upgrade and those that have are miserable with very little movement in sight. This further discourages people from wanting to join them and upgrade. Until more quality of life protections are written in to a contract, senior first officers would prefer to keep their quality of life than the extra pay.

Hannah

1 Like

Sure is and not just when it comes to upgrade but also with aircraft.

Flew with a pilot yesterday who would like to move to the widebody and can hold it but doesn’t want to take the schedule hit. It’s not just about the money, Quality of Life is important.

Adam

The lack of movement is due to the amount of time it takes to rebuild seniority?

Movement comes from 2 ways: people ahead of you moving on, retiring, etc. and people coming in below you to boost your relative seniority within the total category. If there is only a little movement ahead and hardly anyone coming in behind, you’re living at the bottom of the seniority pool.

Hannah

Yeah, at a certain point the extra income isn’t worth the sacrifice especially when you’ve got the seniority, base, and schedules you want as a FO. Is money enough to give that up for years clawing back to that position?

Martin,

When I’m asked (which is very often) why I don’t go to a larger airplane I have a very simple response. I say sure the extra money would be nice but its not enough that it would change or impact my quality of life, but switching airplanes most definitely would.

Adam

2 Likes

Adam,

Plus you would have to deal with that side stick again.

Chris

Oh that’s definitely on the list! :flushed:

Adam