Someone can explain this pic?

Thanks

Airplane flying handbook, chapter 8

Chris F

Gavi,

In case you don’t speak “FAAese”. The LONG parts of the letter "L"s represent runways. The small parts indicate the “base” or final leg before your final leg which will line you up to land. If you look at the upside down reverse L at the top of the figure it shows you would make a right turn to go from the small part of the L to the long part hence its a right hand traffic pattern.

If this doesn’t make sense that fine and this is why we try and convince people that learning to fly without actually flying is difficult because you have no reference or context. ROTE ROTE ROTE!

Adam

Thanks Adam and what you say make perfectly sense, and what I had also already understood. What I was confused by is: the test say that for runway 36 is a left hand and for 18 is right hand. It is correct? I don’t think so.

Blue is left traffic runway heading 360
Red is right traffic runway heading 180

Yes, I draw just as bad on a white board teaching ground.

Chris F

1 Like

It is correct. Remember little part of L turning to long and the top of the L of the runway heading (#) not where the L is located on the diagram. Capeesh?

Adam

Perfectly understood. The only thing it confused me was that I believed the runway 36 was the top runway (pointing to north) and 18 bottom runway.

Gavi,

Runway 36 is the north runway and runway 18 is the bottom runway (headed south). Pretend you were taking off on those runways, is shows a left turn if going north and a right turn of going south.

Chris

Beautifully drawn, this question was always a weak point to me…

Brady

1 Like