Starting a new career!

Hey everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself since I’ll be spending a lot of time here finding answers to questions. I just recently put my notice in for my job and will officially begin flight school in Colorado on 9 May! To say I’m excited is an understatement. I’m sure I’ll have an enormous number of questions, but I’m going to do my best to peruse the forum before I ask them. These next two questions I just haven’t been able to find any recent responses to.

I jumped right into the work force during high school and haven’t stopped since. I’m 29, worked my way up in a blue-collar/corporate job, but it just isn’t doing it for me anymore. I grew up next door to the municipal airport in my hometown and it was always a dream to be able to fly with others who share the same passion. Now that I have the means to pursue my dream, I’m jumping headfirst into it to try and maximize my time in the sky. Safety and longevity are a priority to me, so I want to gain some understanding on a few things before officially beginning classes.

My question is two part I guess; how difficult is it to begin and complete a degree while flying for a regional airline? I have been reading (mostly years-old posts) that a four-year degree is necessary to fly for any Major, and especially for the Legacy airlines. If I am not able to complete a degree in only four years, what are my options/opportunities to still gain employment at a Major?

I’ve been following a few of the Mentors on here and you have all provided us with great ideas. Thank you for all the help you’ve given so far, and I can’t wait to progress in this journey!

2 Likes

Dominic,

First the good news is it won’t take you 4yrs to get a 4yr degree after you’re at a Regional. If you go for an aviation degree (which you should since you’re already at an airline) there are a number of schools that will give you credits for your licenses and ratings. This will save you time and money. Regardless many Majors do want to see that degree. if you are in fact short then you’ll simply have to wait before you apply and get hired.

Adam

1 Like

Dominic,
It will be difficult to finish your degree while also having a full time job at the regionals but it can be done. After completing training you will be on reserve. That period of time will be especially useful to get a lot of school work done as you spend hours sitting in airports waiting to get called to fly. Once you’re a line holder you’ll have less time since you’ll be flying more but you still have long layovers that could be used for school work and your days off. If you’re the kind of person that can manage your time well and stay committed to a goal, you can do it. If it turns out to be too much, you could still have a successful career at a LCC that doesn’t require a degree.
-Hannah

Dominic,

Welcome to the forum. Many, many pilots complete degrees while at the regionals, it is a fairly common practice. It willl take some dedication and a bit of sacrifice on your part, but most things are like that. There is an increasingly diminished emphasis on degrees at the major airlines, but I still think it is a good idea to get one as it will help you stand out from those that do not have a degree. Many colleges will award credits based on your flight training. Check out this link:

Chris