Timeframes

I’m currently trying to figure out the best course of action before jumping into flight training. Right now I’m 2-3 semesters away from graduating with a BA in Russian, so my plan is to get into an accelerated program then work as an instructor while I finish college. Does this sound effective? My bigger questions are about what happens next. From what I’ve found, it should take about 4 years to become a captain at a regional, and at least 6, possibly 10-15 at a major. Is this accurate? Another question, how long does it take to move from a regional to a major? I understand the answer is "it depends, " but what’s typical/ your experience?
Thanks

Grant,

You should know if you do your training with ATP and then chose to return to school to finish you will not be able to instruct for ATP. ATPs instructors are required to work full time and be available to their students.

As for time to a Major the answer is it depends and your numbers are correct. I know people who have done it in a year, others who took almost 20 (and of course others who never made it) and everything in between. If I had to pin it down I’d safely say less than 10 but anything more specific would be throwing darts.

Adam

Grant,

If you are going to instruct anywhere but ATP, your plan might work. I have my doubts. It’s hard to be a full-time instructor and take college classes. If you find a part-time instructor job then I could see that working, but not many flight schools want part-time instructors. Most people finish their degrees before starting flight training. If not, then they wait to finish college until they are first officers at a regional.

I’ll give you optimistic numbers based on what I’ve seen in the 2+ years that I’ve been at a regional. As a first officer at a regional, it should take 1.5-3 years to upgrade to captain. Then an additional 1-3 years to get hired at a major. Once at a major, it can take anywhere from 1 - 10 years to upgrade as a captain depending on which airline you’re with, which plane you’re upgrading into, which base you’re requesting, how many upgrade slots are available, etc.

Tory

Grant,

With only 2-3 semesters left, I would finish the degree, then start your flight training. Sometimes it is just best to focus on one thing at a time and you are so close to the degree now, I would not want to see taking a pause result in extended difficulties in completing the degree. I also do not think that it will be possible to be a full time flight instructor and take college classes, the demands on your time will just be too much.

I would say 10 years to get to a major is accurate and Captain upgrade times there can really runt he gauntlet. I upgraded after ten years at my airline.

Chris

Thanks y’all, I guess I’ll have to reevaluate my plans. Would it make a difference to quickly get my private license and start chipping away at hours until I get into an accelerated program?

Grant,

Not really. Getting your private before going to an accelerated program will really only save you a few months, plus paying for some extra flight time will only get you so far towards the 1,500 hours that are required for the airlines.

I would focus on getting your degree and potentially completing the written exams early. You can read about that here: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Chris