Too late for me to start at 49?

I started over late in life and i also never finished my degree. I most likely wont be getting my degree as I dont have a lot of time left to go to school, train at atp, and start this new career.

In Nov 2021 I’ll turn 50.

My question is if I do a fast track at ATP, can I fly for regionals until mandatory retirement and make a good wage? What can a guy expect from regionals?

Am I still hireable at 50, 51, 52?

Am I wasting my time this late in life?

Thanks, Rick

1 Like

Rick,

There are many threads on this subject but short answer is no, you’re not too late. The caveat is you need to be realistic about your goals (ie, you’re never going to be a Delta 787 Capt flying to Paris). The Regionals actually like older pilots because you’re not going to jump ship asap for a Major. Obviously the financial rewards will not be as great so you’d need to decide if it makes sense for you economically? But yes if you’d be content working or a Regional, making a decent salary, flying a really nice jet to some cool places then no you’re not to late.

Adam

Rick,

For me I would say that it is less about age than it is about demand. Luckily, there has already been some recent announcements about hiring at some regionals which is good news for everyone.

As for pay, check out www.airlinepilotcentral.com. Explore the airlines that you are interested in. Find the hourly wages and use the calculator at the bottom to estimate salary.

Tory

Thanks for the replies. I’ll have to look into what regionals fly out of the Kansas city area.

I also read about American Airlines having a deal with ATP and not requiring a degree. Any advice on that ?

Thanks!
Rick S

Richard,

While there are Regionals that fly out of MCI, I’m not aware of any that have a base there so commuting is probably in your future (if you’re not looking to move).

AA does have Flo program which is currently on hold. In theory it’s possible but you’re 50 now. That means if you started tomorrow the soonest you’d be at Envoy is 2.5yrs so you’re 52.5-53. Before the pandemic they were quoting flow times of 5.5-6yrs. That puts you at 58-59 under ideal pre-Covid time lines leaving you with 6yrs left in your career. Besides the fact AA has some creative language that allows them some flexibility in who flows and when, would you really want to take a pay cut and start again at the bottom of a seniority list with a lousy schedule? Maybe? But maybe not.

As I said making this decision its important to be realistic about your goals and expectations. It’s it possible? Sure, and IF one of AAs Regionals is hiring and IF that Regional works for you pay, equipment and base wise then sure I’d throw my name in the hat. However if you’re doing this with the belief that IS where you’re going to be in the end I think you’re being less than realistic but that of course is up to you.

Adam

1 Like

I see your point. Thanks for the info.

Adam,

Delta doesn’t fly the 787. They fly the A350 and A330-300 to Paris. :smiley:

I’m busting your chops. But this is the ONE time that as a frequent passenger I have relevant (not really) information to share. I’ve flown on Delta’s A350 in and out of Paris (and the Air France A350) a few times and it is quite nice. Though the new “cabins” in Delta One have the feeling of a coffin when you close the door. The cockpit is stunning. I’ve done the A330-330 dozens of times (meh) and I just got to fly on the new Delta A330-900neo from JFK to TLV. That was an excellent flight on a brand new plane. I got to spend a few minutes talking to the captain about the plane and my future flight training.

I have flown the Boeing 787-9 and 787-10 with Air Canada and United. Also a smooth flight with fun technology for the passengers. I slept better in these seats. But nothing beats the A380. It’s like flying in a cruise ship.

Rick - we’ll start a senior citizen’s club at ATP. I’ll be starting at 42 years old with zero time.

As long as we’re busting chops and nit-picking, you’ve NEVER flown a 787. You’ve flown IN or ON a 787 :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Indeed. I typed too fast. And yes I’m absolutely smiling. I just thought it was funny that I’d remember a random fact like that only because I’ve travelled through Paris so many times. “Flown”? I wouldn’t even know how to turn any of these aircraft on.

As George Carlin said, “I’m flying IN the plane. Let Evil Knievel fly ON the plane. There seems to be much less wind in here.”

1 Like

Do you know Who are hiring? So far I heard commutair, Mesa and PSA are hiring. Also are any majors hiring? Specifically legacy?

Jeff,

Frontier announced they’re opening their application window shortly. I don’t see any legacy hiring anytime soon as they all have a ton of pilots on leave who’ll need to come back first.

Adam

Hey guys, so I know your telling this guy ‘if you think you’ll be flying a 787 international Capt. to Paris forget about it’

If I’m 40 and have my PPL and go full time what realistically is realistic for me?
I have a degree.

John,

I’d say you have a strong chance of flying as an FO at a major, but upgrading will depend on demand and what you’re willing to upgrade into. You don’t mention how many hours you have, but with a PPL at 40, I predict you’ll be an FO at a regional by 42, Captain by 45-47, FO at a major by 50. That leaves you with 15 years to build seniority and decide what to do.

Obviously this is just a prediction and there are other paths you can take but should give you an idea.

Tory

Hey Tory,

Joining a major by 50 as a FO, do you think they’d see 15 years left as enough for them to invest in with a heavy?

John,

First and foremost there are no guarantees. Within the last year we went from record hirings to furloughs. Things can and do change on a dime.

Short answer, based on past performance, starting at 40 (I started at 39) you’re probably looking at maybe narrowbody Capt or widebody FO at a Major. The stars could align and maybe you see a couple of years as wb Capt but it’s doubtful (and at that point you might not want to). That said if the stars align and the market does this, and the yuan does that who knows. Conversely things could go the other way and you’re at a Regional for life. Best you can do is the best you can do and hope there’s not another pandemic, market crash, terrorist attack…

Adam

1 Like

John,

No promises, but I’d say yes. I actually see that playing to your advantage to be honest. They will probably see your age and think that you are less likely to make any lateral moves. Someone my age (32) they may assume that I am more likely to leave if a “better” airline calls after I update my resume to show I have a narrow-body type rating, which is not what I plan to do btw, but enough pilots have done that so they try to weed those ones out as best they can.

Tory

1 Like

John,

I just want to make sure that you realize how things work at the airlines, many people do not. Whether you are able to fly a heavy jet or not will have nothing to do with your skill level or if the company thinks you are a good investment or not. Everything works by seniority (how long you have worked for the company). You bid what you want to fly and either hold it or not.

At 40 you still have time for a decent career, but I would get moving on things quickly.

Chris

Thank you all for the input guys. I just joined here

1 Like