Unemployment gap

Hello! I am a 30 year old aspiring airline pilot. This year I start my ATP training, however one concern came across my mind lately. I always wanted to be a pilot but 10 years ago it wasn’t possible (financially), now a family member will help me pay for my ATP training.
So I got my bachelors degree in business and then one job in marketing and after that another job in finance. Both jobs didn’t last a long time and I quit because working in that field was just not for me. (Nevertheless, I did my best at both jobs and made some good results for time being).
My concern is, I have been unemployed for 2.5 years, not sitting-on-a couch type of unemployed but during that time I started working on a project which I have hoped could turn into small business, but it failed. I also did a lot of volunteer work during that time, but non of this was any kind of employment.

My question is, will this gap cause me any trouble when it comes a time for me to have an interview with an airline? I will do my absolute best to excel in my flight training and aviation knowledge, but will I be at disadvantage because of this gap in my non-avitaion employment history?

Thank you for you help!!

Tim,

No need to stress. If it comes to during an interview (probably will), just explain it as you did above.

The airlines are more concerned with your qualifications as a pilot.

Adam

Tim,

I do not see this being an issue for you. Just explain it and you should be fine.

Chris

Adam and Chris,

thank you so much!! Really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Tim

Hey Tim!

First off, congratulations on starting your journey towards becoming an airline pilot! It’s an exciting path, and it’s great to hear that you’re pursuing your dream.

Like Adam and Chris mentioned, your employment gap shouldn’t be a major issue when it comes to interviews with airlines, especially since you have a clear and honest explanation for that period. Life paths are rarely straight lines, and your story shows a lot of resilience and dedication.

Regarding your project, I think it’s important to recognize the value of that experience. Not all ventures succeed, but that doesn’t take away from the effort and learning it involved. You can potentially include this on your resume, framing it as self-employment or freelance work. This shows initiative, entrepreneurship, and the courage to try something new—all qualities that are admirable and can set you apart.

Just be honest and clear about the nature of your work during this time. You’re not lying; you’re showcasing a different type of experience and skill set. Also, don’t underestimate the importance of your volunteer work; it speaks volumes about your character and commitment to contributing to your community.

So, when the time comes, go into those interviews with your head held high. Focus on your achievements, your unique experiences, and the lessons you’ve learned along the way. Keep pushing forward, and don’t sell yourself short. You’ve got a lot to offer, and the right airline will see that.

Best of luck with your training and future interviews! You’re on your way to an incredible career.

Cheers!

Jay, thank you so much for your kind response and encouragement! Will do as you say!:slight_smile:

You guys are the best!

Kind regards,

Tim

1 Like

Tim,

It will probably come up as a routine check. Recruiters just don’t want to see that you sat on the couch and played video games. Make sure you explain what you were doing in the meantime and if possible, have some documentation just in case it comes to that.

Good luck with your training! Let us know if we can help in any way.

Hannah

Tim,

Just be honest in your employment history and when it gets asked, be truthful.

Have you started the enrollment process with ATP (you didn’t mention a starting date)?

Brady

Hannah and Brady,

thank you for you help!:slight_smile:

Apologies, my starting date is in July - my Easa ATPL training is in Europe, Spain.

One more thing, do you have any tips on how to practice mental math? I’ll be honest, this is the part that scares me the most hah. I didn’t have any trouble with math in school but I’ve always used calculator for that. Multiplying and dividing multi digit numbers just in my head intimidates me a lot.

Thank you!

I used the wrong word - not scares or intimidates, but I really struggle with calculating in my head.

Tim,

We don’t do a whole lot of math (just the basics). ere’s the math test I ask all new perspective pilots who question their math skills.

A compass has 360°, for ANY given heading the reciprocal is 180° away so we get the reciprocal by adding or subtracting 180 (since we can’t go OVER 360, ie, 360/180, 090/270, 045/225, etc etc etc). If you can do that in your head your good. If you can’t you need to start studying.

As for how you get good at mental math that’s like anything else, practice!

Adam

1 Like