University vs. Flight School

Hey guys, I’m new to this forum and I’ve seen a lot of similar questions to this- I just figured I would ask to get some further specifics… I have recently decided to become a pilot (the goal is legacy commercial airline) and am very committed. I am two years through a bachelors degree and am basically looking at two main options:

1. I could complete a university program that would give me a bachelors in aviation as well as my private pilot license, instrument rating, multi-engine, CFI, and commercial license (And I think about 250 hours) and would take two years. From here I would try to find a job as a CFI and build my 1000 R-ATP hours, get on at a regional airline, and then eventually hope to get on at a main airline.

2. I could scrap the bachelors degree and enroll at a private flight school. From what I understand I would be able to get all those previously mentioned licenses and ratings within a year and many of them also have great options for getting on at an airline after school and ATP hours (For example, one school near me feeds to SkyWest and would likely lead to a job there… Another feeds to United and would get me a job there after two years at a regional airline.

Both options are similar in price- the main difference is one gets me that bachelors and the other doesn’t, but it would be faster and would be a more promising
option to transition to a major airline. I have read a lot of conflicting things about whether or not I should get a bachelors if I want to be a major airline pilot. What do you guys recommend? Sorry this is long, but I appreciate any help in advance!

-Zac

Zac,

If you’re goal is to fly for a Legacy carrier, you’re going up need a 4yr degree. While none of the Majors list a degree as a requirement, all state the degree is preferred which means they want it.

As for which route, with 2yrs of college under your belt, sooner is always better as seniority is everything. I wouldn’t scrap getting a degree, particularly when you’re half way there nor would I go for the aviation degree as they’re generally very expensive. I would get my flight training done, then after building my time, Id then get an online aviation degree with credit for your 2yrs and your licenses and ratings. You’ll save a ton of money and time.

As for which school I’d encourage you to consider ATP. While you may have found a flight school that is mimicking ATPs program, ATP pioneered the Career Pilot Program and have had over 1200 grads hired in the last year alone. Further ATP doesn’t just have partnerships and pathways with one or 2 airlines, they have them with virtually every airline in the country including Direct Entry to Spirit or Frontier, bypassing the Regionals completely.

Adam

Zac,

I would look into a program like ATP’s that can accelerate your training and allow you to receive quality flight training and build time. Once you start instructing you could pick up part-time credits from an accredited school and finish out your degree. I know a few instructors that finished their degree online through an accredited school while instructing at various schools. The time and dedication you put forth however determines on your commitment to your student and school you’re teaching at. Or you could go off the ‘norm’ and do flight job such as pipeline, jumpers, or banner towing and ensure you have a “set” schedule that would allow you to work on your degree.

As for what Adam mentioned, considering a Direct Entry like Spirit or Frontier, here’s a link to the airline partnerships that ATP has with the majors:

Brady

Zac,

I am going to propose a third option. I would recommend finishing whatever degree you are working on, then going to an accelerated flight school to complete all of your ratings. College flight programs are notoriously expensive and often take much longer than they claim. I finished college, then went to ATP, it worked out perfectly for me.

I would need to know more about the college you are referring to before really commenting on it.

Either way, you should plan on getting a degree, not doing so will really limit your career potential.

Chris