US & EU Dual Citizenship: Best Route to Becoming a Major US Airline Pilot?

Hi all!

After 5 months of quietly observing this forum, here’s my 1st post :slight_smile:

I’m a 33 year old who at the start of this year decided it was not too late for a career change and to pursue a career in aviation as a pilot.

I got accepted at ATP Long Beach, but haven’t started yet since I’m currently studying for my PAR, IRA, CAX written exams, which I’m planning to take before (I’m also working part-time as a ramp agent @ Envoy Air).

My biggest concern to ATP right now however is the 1500-hour rule in the US vs. 200-hour rule in the EU. Instead of the 1000+ hours of flight experience as a CFI in a single-engine aircraft, to lessen my financial commitment and time and since I have dual citizenship, wouldn’t it make more sense for me to pursue 200+ hours of airline-specific experience as FO in EU?

I’ve done some research on the differences and similarities of the EASA ATPL and FAA ATPL and 1) it seems that there are some US flight schools that offer EASA ATPL programs, and 2) it’s relatively easy to convert your EASA ATPL to FAA ATPL.

Ideally, I’d like to stay in the US for flight school since I already live here as well as my family so having that stability and support system would make going through flight school a lot easier, but I am willing to move to EU for flight school if necessary.

I’d love your thoughts on whether this is the best and most economical route, or if sticking with ATP and obtaining an FAA ATPL is better for becoming a pilot at a major US airline.

Appreciate your time and looking forward to your advice.

Best,

David

David,

Not sure where you’re getting your info not it’s not easy to convert your EASA ATPL to FAA and FAA to EASA is even harder. Further 200hrs EU mins are for AB Initio MPL airline programs where you’re trained to be a Type specific FO and don’t even have the ability to fly solo.

I suggest you a) decide where you want to fly. If it’s the US, train in the US, if it’s Europe train there and b) more important if you really want to be a pilot or just wear the uniform and raise and lower the gear.

Adam

David,

I would pick which continent you want to fly on and do your training there. I would not overthink this, just pick one and go with it. Yes, it takes less time to qualify as a pilot in the EU, but the jobs generally pay significantly less and the quality of life is much lower. I suspect you will find that it would be better to have a career in the US.

Chris

David,

Like the guys have said, pick where you want to live and work and pursue flight training there. If you’re committed to moving to the EU and staying there for your career, well that’s what they offer there. Sure you get to the right seat of a jet faster but you’re paid way less and have worse contracts because you have less experience!

Experience translates to pay and benefits! If you want to stay in the US near family and earn the incredible pay and benefits provided with the new contracts, you have to put in the work and time it takes to get there. There is no cutting corners and there shouldn’t be. Being an airline pilot is a huge responsibility!

Hannah

Adam, Chris, Hannah, thank you so much for getting back to me and all your insight has been really helpful.

To clarify, my ultimate goal is to fly and be based in the US.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is, as I’m building time and work towards my 1500 hours: What are the pros and cons of doing that here in the US predominantly as a CFI where you fly single-engine aircrafts vs. gaining experience flying a multi-engine aircraft in the EU? Wouldn’t those 1300 hours flight time with an EU airline prepare me better to fly for a US airline than if I were to have those 1300 hours logged as a CFI with no airline experience?

Again, I agree with everything that’s been said re: EU vs US pilots, QOL, pay, hence I’m not trying to cut corners and even willing to relocate if that means I’ll become a more qualified pilot by the time I’ve completed those 1500 hours.

Appreciate everyone here.

David

Because David, if you go to Europe and get a 200hr MPL license, you will not come anywhere near meeting the requirements to fly for a US carrier. In fact, you wouldn’t even be qualified to fly a single engine Cessna recreationally as you wouldn’t actually have a pilots license.

Again, if you want to go to Europe, raise and lower gear and wear the uniform get a 200hr MPL. If you want to actually be a pilot and fly for a US airline you’ll need to learn to fly, earn your licenses and ratings and build your time.

Adam