What’s life like for an airline pilot?

Hello,

I’m 28 and still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up. I’ve had all types of jobs and I even went to school for surgical technology and worked in an operating room for a while. I soon decided it wasn’t what I really wanted to do. I’ve been debating going back to school while driving for a rideshare company to make ends meet (I’m also looking for a full time job, bills don’t pay themselves).

Oddly enough, I was waiting at the airport the other day to pick up a passenger getting off a flight. I’ve always been intrigued by aviation but never really had the guts to pursue any type of career in it. Watching the planes come and go, I decided to get on google and see what I could find out, as far as information on flight schools and careers. I would like to pursue a career as an airline pilot- a female airline pilot :slight_smile:

I came across ATP Flight School and I am very interested. I found out how much it costs, where the closest location is to me, (I can’t relocate, I have a small family and a 3 year old who depends on me… and the nearest location is 2 hours away) and I found out the timeline of education in aviation school. I’m still very interested, but curious.

I’m still trying to figure out if this is feasible for me, being that I will have to commute for school 2 hours one way. Is that doable? Would I have to spend Monday-Friday at the school and come home on the weekends?

I also am working out kinks with my student loans from the last time I went to school. My loans went into default and I’m currently in the process of rehabilitating them. I understand this will take several months, but once it’s done, I will have the opportunity to go back to school and take out more loans.

Aside from all the technicalities, what’s actual life like as a full time airline pilot anyways? Does it involve spending days at a time away from home? Do you go home every day? With my small child I can’t commit to being away from home much, but I still am extremely driven to make this work.

Thank you all for reading and thank you in advance for your answers and advice!

I am not trying to discourage you, but I would not add more loans to existing unpaid loans, and with a 3 year old it is not going to be easy, driving two hours each way is tough ,and if and when you are hired by a regional or major, you will be spending a lot of time away from home. Check the mentors schedule, it will give you an idea about the days away from home, off days etc.

Laken,

I’m going to make this much easier for you. Sitting in the airport watching the planes fly by is like watching a football game and deciding you want to be a quarterback. If you’re seriously interested in flying you have to fly. Being at the controls of a small plane is dramatically different than sitting in the back of an Airbus.

Go to your local flight school and take a lesson. Until then there’s little point wondering about all the other details.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thank you for your reply.

I failed to mention I did once take youth lessons as a 16 year old. I didn’t get to really fly the plane, but I did get to sit at the controls and have a pretty good experience, enough to validate my interest and passion. I do however want to fly again to refresh my memory.

Laken,

Sorry to have some negative news here, but:

A two hour commute each way is way too much and is a recipe for failure. Four hours per day in the car is just not feasible. You will need time to fly, study, be a mom, pay bills, etc.

You will definitely need to get your kind straightened out before another lender will approve you for more loans.

As an airline pilot, you will be gone a lot. Pilots by definition fly to far away places and that means many nights on the road. If you have custody of your child, I do not see how this job would be feasible for you. Don’t just take my word for it, take a look at our schedules section and see for your self.

Chris

Laken,

With everything that you just described, I don’t think ATP’s program is a good fit for you right now. I agree with all of the reasons that have been previously stated about. Also, there are phases of the program that require you to be away from your primary training center. Two weeks are spent flying, crew-style, on cross country flights, ferrying airplanes throughout ATP’s system. Another 2-4 weeks are spent in CFI school at one of ATP’s CFI training hubs (GKY, IWA, LZU, CRG, DAB).

I would look into other avenues like local flight schools.

Tory

Hello,
My name is Darren and I’m new to Airline Pilot Life. I was wondering what a Typical Day in the life of an Airline Pilot is? If there already is a topic on this could you please direct me to it?
Thanks

Darren,

There are many threads on the subject and I assume you found this one by using the search function. I encourage you to continue searching as again this question is asked often, particularly if you’re looking for more specifics (commuting, overnights, time away etc). The short answer is pilot life can and does vary depending on many factors such as seniority, aircraft, airline, etc.

Adam

Thanks Adam,
I’ll continue searching on the subject.
Darren

Darren,
Welcome to the forum! There is a ton of info here so feel free to browse and search specific topics. A typical day varies for all of us as we fly for different airlines, different airplanes and even different parts (I’m flying charter in part 135). The airline guys can chime in on what their days are like but mine follow a pretty typical pattern.
I have an 8/6 schedule so on day 1, that’s my travel day to fly to wherever the airplane was last left, get it prepped for our first live leg with passengers and flight plan. We are in charge of not only the flight ops but stock too. We have to stock the aircraft with snacks, drinks, alcohol and cleaning supplies to keep the cabin looking fresh. The next day we typically start with the live leg with passengers. It can be one leg or sometimes two dropping some passengers at the first location and continuing on somewhere else with the others. After that, we do a reposition leg to get the plane in place for the next live leg, then clean the cabin, get any special catering requests coordinated and secure the airplane. Then we head to the hotel and do it all again the next day.

Thanks for your reply Hannah,
It’s very informative and helps me out as I’m looking to become a Pilot myself but flying passengers on scheduled routes.
Darren

Hey Darren,

Take a look at the schedules section. At my airline a trip usually consists of a 3-4 day trip with up to 8-9 hours of flying, but usually only 5-6. We do anywhere from 1-4, sometimes 5 flights per day. We usually get 45min to an hour between flights. We are guaranteed 13 days off per month.

On the first day of the trip we are expected to arrive for duty an hour before our first flight, and 45min prior for all other days of the trip. Layovers are typically 12-30 hours long. Sometimes the layovers can be as short as 10 hours.

With a lot of stuff closed down still because of COVID the variety of things to do on layovers has decreased but it is still important to get out at least once during a trip.

We bid for our schedule the month prior. Seniority dictates how much of what you asked is awarded. As a newbie you can expect to miss birthdays and holidays and to work on weekends, but with a supportive family there’s always a way to find alternative solutions.

Like anything, it’s what you make of it. I know pilots that absolutely love the job and are always grateful to have the responsibility and the privilege. And I know pilots that you wonder why they don’t move on to find something else.

Tory

Darren,

Please check out the “Flying the Line” section as it has some rather detailed posts on “day in the life”.

Chris

Also, check out this video featuring your’s truly:

2 Likes

Can I have your autograph? :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Sure, make sure to send a self addressed, stamped envelope for the return.

2 Likes

I started watching it a few days ago, looking forward to finishing it🙂
Edit:Just finished listening to it… It’s fantastic!:+1:

Darren,

I am glad that you found it to be helpful!

Chris