When and where should I do my PPL?

Hey all,

For a little background, I’m an sophomore in college, majoring in accounting. My mother was always really into aviation and she did a little bit of her PPL but never finished it. I took my introductory flight with my local flight school about a month ago, and I really enjoyed it, but I’m not totally sold on this being my career in life (that’s a big decision, you know?).
I’ve taken a lot of time reading through these forums and I’ve decided on a few things based on the advice all of the mentors here gave other people:
A) I should finish my degree before starting flight training.
B) I should finish my PPL before thinking any further, just to ensure that this is something I actually want to do. I wouldn’t want to sign up for the whole shabang and then drop out.

Based on these, I have a few tough decisions going forward to make. If I do my PPL and decide this is something I want to do for the rest of my life, I want to get started ASAP so I can get my seniority number ASAP. However, where I go to college does not have a flight school nearby to it that I could split between doing my PPL and doing college work at the same time. I have a flight school local to my home during the summer, but I’m not confident I can finish my PPL in one summer alone (and it would be rough to take a whole year’s break between summers).
Unless you guys have any recommendations regarding that, this would mean I’d have to do my PPL after I graduate from college. I would probably have to use my degree to get a job so I can support the costs that come with the PPL, meaning I’d tack a few extra years onto the end of my graduation that isn’t sitting in a pilot’s seat, but rather at a desk crunching numbers.
As you can probably tell, my goal of starting ASAP and what’s realistic for me do not line up, so really I am seeing if there are any alternatives you guys can think of that would be suit my needs.

For reference, my closest ATP locations is the one at Martin State Airport. I have not ruled out moving elsewhere for flight instruction if I were to move forward with that, but it would save me a whole lot of money to live with my parents while doing it. My concern is that I hear some ATP locations are bigger and easier to accommodate students. Would there be a significant benefit to moving near one of ATP’s bigger locations versus staying local with my parents?

I know that was quite a wall of text to read. I tried cutting it down as much as possible, but I look forward to and appreciate any wisdom you can give me.

Thanks, Ben

Clearly you’re not an editor so maybe flying is a better choice :wink:

All kidding aside welcome Ben,

Sounds like you’ve done some homework (which is good) so let’s get to your questions concerns.

You’re right to want to finish your degree. You’ve started it and it’s easier just to finish than trying to go back later. I would give the PPL thing some thought. Not that getting it is a bad idea. It’s just that trying to wrestle school and training is difficult and more times than not end to being expensive and inefficient. While I understand and think it’s really smart not to jump in and fully commit until you’re ready. I think there may be a compromise? You mention training over the summer. While you’re right in might not be enough time to complete your PPL, it should be enough to solo and get a much better idea if this is what you want to do. That way you’ve made a decision, you haven’t wasted a ton of time and money, you’ve got a few hits under your belt and then you can dive in with both feet confident its the right move without again having wasted much.

As for which ATP location, I’m not sure where you read that but it just isn’t so. ATP works incredibly hard to standardize training throughout all their locations. Further the student/instructor ratio is the same regardless of location size. If there’s a location code to home that works for you there’s really no need to look elsewhere.

Adam

1 Like

That made me chuckle, hah.

You mentioned a summer being enough time to solo. Let’s say I got to that point and was enjoying myself enough to dive in fully, wouldn’t I have to pick it all back up the following summer? I read through a few threads (particularly this one) and saw that it was inadvisable to leave a year in between flight training.

Ben

Ben,

Most likely you will take a few steps back between summers but the point is for you to make a decision and gain some hours and that you will accomplish.

What would probably be better, if that’s a concern, is for you to wait until the summer before you graduate. Do as much flying as you can. If you’re thinking yes, this is what I want to do you roll right into ATP. If not you had a nice summer, didn’t spend too much and you can tell your kids how you were almost a pilot.

Adam

2 Likes

Ben,

I find that getting to the point where you have soloed or not us usually enough flight experience to see if this is the career they desire or not. You should easily be able to get to that point in one summer. From there, you r best bet would probably be to start over again at a school that offers accelerated flight training. There would not be a significant overlap and the extra experience would only serve to better prepare you for the training program.

Chris

2 Likes

Adam and Chris,

This is some pretty solid advice. I appreciate it.

Ben

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

If I were to start a few lessons at my local school this summer like Adam brought up, should I get my first class medical beforehand, or should I wait until I know I am serious about it and am ready to commit to ATP (or other serious flight training)?

Ben

Ben,

If you’re going to get your PPL you will need a medical. While you’re only required to get a Third Class, the cost difference is nominal, so you might as well go for the First. Then you can be certain you have no issues and if you do, you can address them.

Adam

1 Like

Good to hear from you again, Ben!

Legally speaking, you need a medical certificate to solo. If you are just talking about a few flight lessons with an instructor then you don’t need a medical certificate and I wouldn’t worry about getting one until you are ready to commit to flight training either full-time or towards a certificate.

When are you planning on beginning flight training again?

Tory

1 Like

Adam,
That makes sense. I will look into getting my first class medical in the near future then.

Tory,
I plan to take a few lessons this summer just to ensure it’s something I want to do. I’ve been surrounded by planes a lot of my life and I enjoy things like planespotting, as well as being in airports (shocking right? Who likes being in airports :rofl:). But flight training is a big investment so I want to ensure it’s definitely something I am in love with before I look into financing and determining if ATP is the right fit. If I take these lessons and do enjoy it, I’d likely be looking at starting full-fledged flight training after I graduate with my degree in the spring of 2024.

Ben

Ben,
I think you’ve got the right idea. If you’re not totally sure that you want to be an airline pilot, start with the private and see how it goes. If it leaves you wanting more then you’re probably on the right track. As the guys said, you will need at least a third class medical. You might as well get the first class medical when you get it initially. It will regress to third class privileges after a year from issuance but no need to renew it until just before starting ATP. That will save you some money. The only down side to starting your private now… the two year gap before starting training with ATP in 2024. If all goes well and you decide that you will pursue an airline career at ATP, you’ll need to make sure you arrive with all your private skills and knowledge proficient. Coming in credit private your first day you jump right in to Instrument training as if you finished your private check ride the week before (as zero time students do). Also be aware that you’ll have to meet the eligibility requirements for credit private: 78 hrs total time and 8hrs XC PIC. Not a difficult task to complete over the next two years but wanted you to factor in that cost as well.
-Hannah

1 Like

Hannah,
I probably won’t get my PPL at my local school. Chris brought up a good point earlier in the thread that I would probably only need to get to the point of soloing to see if this is something I really want to do. To add onto that, you also bring up a good point that I will need to be proficient coming into ATP. The latest I could do my PPL is the summer before I graduate (as there would be no point to doing it when I graduate, I could just start with ATP!), so I would likely not be as proficient after a year of inactivity.
Currently, the plan is to take a few lessons to see if it’s something I want to do, and then start back at zero time if I choose to go with ATP.

Ben

Ben,

I am in a similar situation. I began my PPL around August 2020 while working full-time, around 55 hours a week, and solo’d in late October 2020. I continued and the only thing I had remaining as of January 2021, was my long solo cross-country. Then, I began a new position which was around 70-80 hours a week. naturally, something had to give and unfortunately it was my PPL training. I took a break from February-September 2021 due to work and personal matters. I can, with full certainty, say that the break has affected my flight training. I am working on my maneuvers (more practice is always good in that regard) while training with a new instructor which has to sign off on my endorsements to do the solo, which is costing more money. Fortunately, it is building my time to get to the ATP minimum of 78 hours (just shy of 60 now) in the hopes of starting the fast-track program in February 2022 (Trying to sign up today, actually).
All of that said, I wish I could have just continued with my training as it would have been quicker and cheaper, but life happens! Best of luck.

1 Like

Ben,

This sounds like a good plan to me. If you are only taking a few lessons, I would not worry with getting the medical until you are ready to start full fledged flight training. Now, if you are on any medications, have health issues, etc, you should go in and see them now.

Chris

1 Like

Ben,
I think thats a great idea. I took 17 hours to really know I was ready to take the leap of faith and quit my job and pursue this crazy career. For others it can be a one hour intro fight, for others their entire private pilot training. I hope for the sake of your wallet you figure it out quick! :slight_smile:
Keep us updated!
-Hannah

1 Like

Hi all,

It’s summer and it’s time to pull the trigger on a little bit of training at my local school as mentioned above. I was able to take some extra courses to get through my degree faster and will be graduating a year early now (next spring). Now that it’s summer, I fully intend to get to the point of soloing. I don’t intend to go further at this point as I feel I won’t have enough time before going back to college, and also I’d prefer to get my private at ATP when I do enroll.
So here’s my question, what materials do I need if I just want to solo this summer? I’d need a medical, yes, but besides that, do I need books (any besides what is free on FAA website)? Do I need an iPad? Or are all of those things I can cover with a loan when I apply with ATP and actually intend to get my PPL (+ more)? This specific school is Part 141 and they do in-person ground school, is this something you take concurrently with the actual flying portion, or is it ground school first? I’ll get all of this information from them when I speak with them tomorrow, but I just wanted to get your guys’ thoughts. Btw, I already asked them quite a few questions from Chris’ handy dandy guide. :wink:

I’m really excited!! Adrenaline is through the roof right now.

Ben

Ben,

That’s really a question for the flight school you’ll be training with. Technically you shouldn’t need anything other than your student pilot cert and medical but some schools might require more.

Adam

1 Like

Ben,

Since it is a 141 school, they may have additional materials for you. I’d reach out to them directly. If not, you would be just fine with the FAA textbooks available online. You could get by without an iPad for now if you’d like to include it in the cost of your loan when starting at ATP.

Hannah