1 class medical and kidney stones history

Hi guys

Some of you has history of kidney stones and what you did for the 1 class medical? We have to disclose kidney stones history?

Thanks

Gavi,

Yes you do and I can tell you from my experience as a union rep that the FAA does not like kidney stones. Be prepared to get all the info you can from the Dr who treated you and you might have to get an ultrasound to confirm you don’t have any others.

One episode is not the end of the world but if your “history” includes multiple episodes you will have a problem.

Adam

Had the same issue. Had a Kidney stone. FAA will want Medical records, Ultrasound, and like Adam said, confirmation from a doctor that the kidney stone was dissolved, passed, or that you don’t have any more. My kidney stone was from 2017 and I was able to get my First Class Medical. But, as Adam stated, be prepared to provide any and all information concerning your visit for that issue.

Gavi,

As always when it comes to medical issues you need to speak with an AME but again the FAA does not like kidney stones and 3 episodes shows a history.

Good luck with this one…

Adam

How and where i can speak with one of them before going for the 1 class medical?

Adam

Gavi,

Adam posted the link above to find the nearest AME. You can call the office and schedule an appointment with them. They will probably assume it’s for the medical and want you to fill out the med express form but just tell them it’s for an initial consult, not a first class.

Hannah

Gavi,

You will want to consult with an AME and be prepared with any documentation that may be asked of you, the sooner you can get a head start with paperwork the faster you can send it in if requested. I am by no means an AME or a “Google Doctor,” but I did a simple search about kidney stones and aviation to find this article:

I end my reply, still consult an AME before too long and get the required paperwork you need ready as Adam mentioned.

Brady

Thank you guys. I really appreciate it.