1st class medical exam

So i’ve Looked this up but, is it true that my vision needs to be 20/20 in each eye individually? Hey

Yes. Corrected to 20/20 in each eye.

Nick,

Your vision needs to be correctable to 20/20 for each individual eye. Meaning if you can see 20/20 in each eye with glasses, you will be fine.

Chris

1 Like

Unfortunately I had prk surgery done on my eyes two years ago and I see 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other and it can’t be corrected with glasses so I might have to get touch up surgery done again. Which sucks because I have my intro flight on Monday and I was really hoping to get in soon but things might have to be put on hold for me.

Nick,

The PRK touch-up might be a faster process than waiting on the FAA Surgeon for a Special Issuance Authorization, if they even give it. Best is to talk to your local AME and see how to proceed.

I got my LASIK scheduled and done within a couple months (eye drops). I’m sure the process isn’t too far off for PRK.

Best Regards,

Michael

Nick,

Before you go having additional surgeries, be sure to check with an FAA medical examiner as only they can dispense medical advice.

Chris

Well the prk/lasik will more than likely give me 20/20 vision. If I can’t get glasses or contacts to bring me to 20/20 than would this not be the right move?

Nick,

That is something that is best discussed with your eye surgeon and FAA medical examiner.

Chris

Nick,

FYI, not sure if you’re talking about starting with ATP or just training on you’re own? The reason I ask is while ATP and the airlines do require a First Class medical your local flight school would not. You obviously want to address this and get it taken care of BUT if you’re still in the “discovery phase” of this whole thing and wanted to start some training you could get your Third Class which only requires 20/40 and is all you need to train. Just saying.

Adam

Well i want to go full blown on this, so I am referring to ATP. I wouldn’t want to invest money into a PPL and do nothing but fun and recreation. I have taken an intro flight years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it and was intrigued. Through research and questions, I feel like I want to do this. So, I would like to get my eyes taken care of so I can go to school and start a career.

I just talked to the regional FAA doctor today, PRK, Lasik, and any other eye surgery is acceptable in order to obtain a 1st class medical. The only thing is you must wait a minimum of 30 days from the surgery, be off all the medical eye drops and have a note from your surgeon/doctor saying that you are good. Just in case anyone was wondering

Glad to hear that Nick. Hope it works out well for you.

Best Regards,

Michael Taft