1st class?

Hello. This has nothing to do with atp, but if my goal is to be in the airlines and I’m only 16, should I just get the 1st class medical right now? Or just get the 3rd class and wait later?

Tyler,

Unless you have some concerns that you may not pass I say save your money.

Adam

Hi, Tyler.

At your age, the First-Class Medical will technically remain valid for five years, but you will only be allowed to exercise First-Class privileges for the first year after you obtain it. In other words, you could get the First-Class, but it will only be valid for ATP operations for one year, after which, it will essentially degrade to a Third-Class until it expires after the fifth year. Before I started my training, I opted to get the First-Class just to see if I would be able to qualify for it before throwing all of that money away, only to find-out later that flying for an airline was never an option. Being sixteen years old, I would be surprised if you had any medical conditions that would prevent you from obtaining a First-Class, but it’s not my place to assume.

In my humble opinion, I would go ahead and get checked-out for the First-Class, just to make sure you’re all set for a career in this field. After that expires, I wouldn’t bother getting it again until you are ready to operate as an ATP. The Third-Class exam is a little bit cheaper than the First, so I would save the money until you absolutely need it.

Best regards,
Ryan

Actually Ryan since you can’t hold an ATP till you’re 21 he would never be able to exercise those privileges.

Adam

Ah, yes.

Better wording: You’ll only be medically fit to fly ATP (assuming you were of age) for one year at a time, under the age of forty.

Tyler,

I do not see any point at all in obtaining a medical certificate at this young age.

Chris

I’m gonna be soloing in a couple months

Tyler,

That doesn’t make a difference. You only need a third class to exercise private pilot privileges, ie solo. So, technically all you need is a third class before you solo.

Tory

I know Tory. I understand what your saying, but I just wanna make sure that I’m capable from the start of being able to join the airlines. Don’t wanna waste my money. But back to what Chris said, he says there’s no point in getting a medical at all, and my point was that I’m soloing soon, and will need at least a 3rd class before I start

Tyler,

I did not understand that you were soloing soon. Yes, I would get the first class medical to make sure there were no medical issues.

Chris