First Class medical help

I’m applying for my first class medical currently and my only option is Airman Medical Certificate, but am going to be a student. Is this the correct certificate for me?

Audrey, you are correct!

All medical certificates are called Airman Medical Certificates (1st, 2nd, and 3rd class0; there is no such thing as a “student medical certificate,” you just apply for a 1st class.

The student portion only comes in when you are ready to apply for your pilot certificate (what many call a “pilot’s license,” during that process you would sign up for the student pilot certificate at that time.

Audrey,

Michael is right. Airman Medical Certificate is the general term. The class of medical certificate is what dictates your privileges as a pilot. I hope I don’t confuse you, but if you want to eventually fly for an airline, you will need a 1st class medical; although, a 1st class is not required to be a student. It’s in your best interest to get the 1st class medical so that you know that you’ll be able to get it before you spend $80k on training.

Tory

1 Like

Question, is the 1st class medical good for one year? Does the company you’re working for usually cover the cost after you land a job?

Audrey,

Just to clarify it depends on your goal. If you’re planning on flying for an airline eventually OR do your flight training with ATP then you should get your First Class. ATP requires it and it’s a good idea to know if you’ll have any issues prior to moving forward. If however you’re flying for recreational purposes or know with no uncertainty you’ll be fine physically, then save your money and get your Third Class.

Adam

Hi Tory,

So when should have your AME first class done? Actually can you go over the basic process step by step from start to finish. Especially the things I should do first before spending time and money and anyone else’s time. Thank you.

Thomas

Anthony,

From the FAA:
First Class Medical Certificate: A first class medical certificate is valid for the remainder of the month of issue; plus
◦6 calendar months for operations requiring a first class medical certificate if the airman is age 40 or over on or before the date of the examination, or
◦12-calendar months for operations requiring a first-class medical certificate if the airman has not reached age 40 on or before the date of examination, or
◦12 calendar months for operations requiring a second class medical certificate, or
◦24 calendar months for operations requiring a third class medical certificate if the airman is age 40 or over on or before the date of the examination, or
◦60 calendar months for operations requiring a third class medical certificate if the airman has not reached age 40 on or before the date of examination. *

Some airlines will reimburse the cost, others will not. Depends on the contract.

Adam

Thomas,

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/get/

Tory

Anthony,

The first class is good for one year until you turn 40, then it is good for six months.

Chris

Thanks again guys for the answer here and to the one regarding pay as a FO. I just found out today that my neighbor is a pilot for AA, and I’m in the Guard with a guy who’s father flys for United I believe he said. Such a small world it seems when you actually talk to people who are pilots.