Acquire PPL before ATP school?

I have been researching ATP and other flight schools nearby, and have decided that ATP is where I plan to pursue my aviation career. I have been working since graduating high school 4 years ago, so I’m aware that “checks the box” for admission requirements.

I do however have some curiosity as to whether it would be wiser to attain a PPL nearby while working part-time, and applying with that under my belt. The cost of ATP would be $22,000 less and 3 months less course time at ATP if I have a PPL. I have found PPL courses under $22,000 nearby that would still allow some time to work on the side. Or, I could apply for ATP at zero experience and pursue the 9 month course.

I know that the loan program here wouldn’t be the same, and I would need to pay it forward and during as opposed to ATP’s pay after option. Also, I do have a dog that I would bring with me, so I would need housing outside of ATP’s housing, which I’m aware would be quite pricey in any major city these days.

I am seeking some advice from professionals/ATP graduates related to the question: Should I attain a PPL here (Asheville NC) before applying for/attending ATP, thus save some money and time while working a job, or lean towards the full immersion of ATP and complete the full 9 month course.

Thank you!
Micah

Micah,

A couple of things. People love quoting the entry requirements BUT if you continue to scroll down you’ll see NONE of the listed requirements guarantees you admission. ATP slots are very competitive and you may find you’ll have to get your PPL (whether you want to or not) before your accepted. This is a conversation you will need to have with admissions but don’t just assume the “box is checked”.

As for getting your PPL first, unless you need it for admission or you’re not 100% sure you’re ready to make the commitment, I generally don’t recommend it. First off, people seem to miss (again if you scroll down) to get credit for your PPL you need to have at least 78hrs of flight time. Since most flight schools quote the minimum 40hrs (which is almost half of what ATP requires) it’s probably not going to save you as much money as you think. Second (and more important), I assume one of the reasons you’ve decided to train with ATP is their history of excellence. If that’s the case, wouldn’t you want that high level of training from day one (if you can)?

Adam

1 Like

Micah,

Adam said it, but I like to copy and paste the facts because I’m a numbers kind of guy,

Note that admission to ATP is extremely competitive, and meeting the criteria above does not guarantee acceptance.

There are only a few reasons why I would consider working on the Private Pilot Certificate (PPL) outside of ATP:

1. You are unsure if this is something you really could see yourself doing or think you need some time to sit on the idea;

2. During your admissions process ATP recommends you get the PPL and reapply to the ACPP; and

3. You just want a hobby.

Brady

1 Like

Micah,

Like Brady said, get your PPL only if you’re “testing the waters”. It typically is not as fast or cheap as they quote. Plus it’s best to learn the pacing of ATP right away and build a good foundation for the rest of your training.

If you’re ready to go, apply and see what happens. If you don’t get in then you need to get your PPL to strengthen your application and try again.

Hannah

1 Like

Hey y’all,

Thank you for your genuine responses. I appreciate the bluntness and honesty. I will reach out and apply to ATP asap and see what response I get back. ATP and becoming an airline pilot is my dream, not just a hobby and not something I need to test the waters. I really appreciate the feedback because now that I’ve heard it from a different perspective, it makes more sense to apply and see IF I get into ATP, and then go from there. I know there are no givens with the competitive application pool, so fingers crossed.

Micah,

It sounds like you have a good plan set. Please keep us in the loop.

Chris