ATP School VS. Local School PPL

What do you recommend is the better route to go?

Should I do all of my training at ATP school. It would be nearly $100K ($80K in Loans), but I would know the system of ATP and get all my learning in the same place?

OR

Should I get a PPL at a local place where it would be cheaper overall. $10K (all paid for), plus around $70K loan for ATP school. My only fear with that is if I don’t learn something at the local school that I should know before ATP school.

Thanks!

Kolin,

I would say go all ATP if you have zero time now.
I’m sure others will concur, and most certainly the mentors will confirm, but I got my PPL outside of ATP, and it cost a lot more time and money then I had anticipated. I believe you’ll find plenty of others here on the forums who had a similar experience.

Just my opinion, but I actually don’t think it’s a bad idea to get your PPL outside of ATP. I believe most (maybe all?) the mentors took that route. I think that gives you an opportunity to really see if Aviation is the right path for you without committing to a $100K loan. That being said - it is imperative that if you take that route, you choose a reputable local school with several planes and multiple instructors. Make sure they have a syllabus and a documented history of success.

4 Likes

I think both the “do it all at ATP, it’s cheaper” and “get it outside ATP before you commit to a career blindly” arguments are good. Also, a person’s individual situation matters. I cannot start the ATP program for two years. I want to do something constructive with that time and make sure I REALLY love flying, so I’m doing my PPL at a local school while I am waiting. That being said, just read through these forums and you’ll see you can easily blow a LOT of unnecessary money and learn horrible habits you’ll have to unlearn at ATP if you don’t do as Peter says and ensure the school/instructors know what the hell they are doing. There’s a separate message string in here where a young man was learning from someone with one plane…it got damaged during a hard landing and that’s the end of his training for now (and his mom says the instructor is attempting to bill him for the damage!).

1 Like

Kolin,

If you believe ATP is the way to go why would you want to do any of your training outside of ATP? While I understand the desire to possibly save a few dollars this is your career and in the long run you’re cost won’t matter but the level of education will.

The only time I recommend getting your PPL first elsewhere is if you’re not certain about being a pilot as a career and want to get your feet wet.

Adam

3 Likes

I got my private at a local school, it was a disaster. It cost twice as much as I was told that it would and took way too long. The school had very few airplanes and instructors. I have heard this story from so many different people. Just something to think about.

Chris

3 Likes

Kolin,

I got my PPL at a local school. It turned out okay. When I started ATP, I quickly learned that I was not being held to ATP’s standards though. Not saying that this is always the case. Just something to keep in mind.

Tory

2 Likes

I was planning to get my PPL at a flight school basically since I don’t currently have a degree to get into ATP. I figure I would get my 78-84 or so hours before my degree, but maybe not.?

Hi, I’m in the middle of a career change and would be super happy if able just to get to a Regional.
However, I’m doing a local school ppl with a CFI end-goal, because at my age (48) getting into a 100K debt with interests and extras would make it virtually impossible to recoup the investment. With the time remaining would be stuck in the bottom of the pay scale as ATP until retiring.

Hope to learn could be different. If so, I would make the investment in ATP school right away!

The running thread on this is that a PPL can’t usually be done cheaper as smaller schools. There is no financial pressure for the standard flight school to get you from 0 hours to PPL quickly. The longer it drags out the more they make. ATP is a pipeline whose reputation depends on cranking out pilots of consistent quality rapidly to feed airlines’ needs for new hires. I’ll be getting my PPL outside of ATP but its because of my personal inability to start ATP for almost two years. I’d do the math and get any flight school to show you their curriculum, ensure they have plenty of planes and instructors or it could bleed your bank account unnecessarily.

Carlos,

There are many ways of figuring out whether it’s “worth it” or not. Problem is at 48 if you were hired today you still would only have 17yrs of flying left. Chances are you won’t be a Capt at a Major but you could be an FO or remain a Regional Capt. Regardless every year you delay is over $100k in lost income potential. To me however it’s more a matter of asking what are you waiting for? If you’ve made the decision you want to make this career change why would you put it off? I assume you enjoy flying (or believe you will). So you decided to take the leap but knowing you’re already late to the party you’re going to drag it out longer, make less money not to mention make the chances of making it a Major that much less.

I appreciate it’s a lot of money but flight training isn’t cheap. There are no bargains and the vast majority of pilots who do their training locally end up spending more money in the long run. It just doesn’t seem as much because you’re not looking at the total price.

Your call but I’d give it more thought. I got my PPL locally and it cost me a fortune and almost 2yrs. If I had continued I never would’ve made it.

Adam

1 Like

Carlos,

Recouping invest also needs to include the money you are spending at the local flight school, whether it is out of pocket or not.

Chris

Kolin,
Do you realize that asking this question, on this web forum, as you have phased it, is a bit like going to a Ford dealer and asking if Ford is better than Chevy? Consider a broader search of forums for this inquiry.

1 Like

Donald,

While I get what you’re saying that’s not really the case here. We make no attempt to mask the fact this is ATPs forum and we’re all VERY pro ATP.

If you read Kolin’s question however he’s not shopping flight schools. He’s made his decision to train with ATP. His question is should he do the whole program or not. The choice of course is his. All we’re saying is if you’ve done your research and decided that ATP is the way to go then you must have a reason for that choice. Why wouldn’t that same reasoning apply to ALL the training?

Adam

2 Likes