ADHD/Migraines

I think I may have my answers, but I just wanted to check on the most up to date information. I was diagnosed with ADHD a while back, and I’ve been taking Adderall. I’ve seen in lots of places this is on the disqualification list for pilots. Is that still the case? If so, does anyone know of an alternative that is FAA approved? Also, I have migraines but my neurologist has me on a once monthly injection of Emgality that works wonderfully. I’ve seen in a few places where this is allowed, as long as I’m not having more than one migraine a month.

Devin,

You will need to check with a FAA Medical examiner. Only they can answer your questions.

Chris

Devin,

As Chris mentioned, you will want to consult and an AME, below is a link to find a nearest AME to you. Make sure to search for a First Class AME:

Brady

Thank you. I just got my First Class Medical Certification! It’s finally time for me to start looking at pilot training!

2 Likes

Hi Devin,

Congratulations on your medical! If you don’t mind, can you elaborate on the process?

I’m curious from the ADHD side. Did you consult an AME first prior to certification appointment? Did you get deferred?

Thanks and Congratulations,
Mike

So I actually stopped taking my Adderall, which is extremely inconvenient but it has to be done. I got deferred for my migraines from the AME. The FAA called me and requested very specific documents from my physician. It then took a few weeks for a response from them, by mail of course. The ADHD does not automatically disqualify you, but you must be 90 days without a stimulant for you to ever fly solo.