Airline pilot Vs CHP Officer

Hello my name is Lincoln. I have a strong passion for aviation. but prior to that was sure i was going to be a police officer. Though i shut those doors in the light of many events of police brutality. Since then i have matured and had time to grow and re visit the topic. Now a days I know that on my death bed i would regret not trying it for a couple of years. If i were to do law enforcement i would want it to only last for no more than 8 years. I then would want to transition into my other passion of commercial airline. My question and why i’m so hesitant on going with it is that i know it takes a while to be a captin which i personally think the good money is. I’ve always had expensive taste and i’d prefer not to be making “only”?100K at age 35. My worries comes from that if i do law enforcement i will be too old to enjoy my aviation carter and the money , and all the other stuff that comes with it. i wanted to also hear what others think

Lincoln,

Will you be too old, probably not but things can and do change. Further there’s zero guarantees you’ll ever make it to a Major so yes you could be stuck at a Regional making a measly $100k. If that’s not satisfactory to you then you should probably stay away from aviation. You may be very disappointed.

Adam

Really , even thorough the united aviate program. i would think that due to covid that many airlines are hiring.

Lincoln,

They are and now’s probably the best time in history to get into this industry but that’s RIGHT NOW (who knows what it’ll be like 8+yrs from now?). United Aviate is a great program, problem is over 100,000 people applied and 50 have completed the program. Do you have any flight experience? Maybe you’d be a great pilot but maybe not and bust a few checkrides. Maybe you’re a poor interviewer? Maybe you don’t have a degree (which while not required is still preferred)? Maybe you have a blemish on your record?Maybe you have an incident during training? Maybe Covid-25 happens next year and the airlines furlough, etc etc etc.

There are a dozen reasons people never make it to the Majors. Thing is those who genuinely have a passion just for aviation just want to fly and are happy just to have the opportunity. Again those who are doing it with salary requirements often are not.

Adam

i completely understand that who know what happens in 8 years from now. 8 years before covid happend no one knew covid would hit. that’s a very good point sir. as to the other parts you said. i’m fresh out of highscool like may 28 fresh. i’m already taking classes at my local community center to try and get a head start. an my record is as clean as could be. never been pulled over or any duis , felony’s, etc

and i’m definitely doing it for the passion, i grew my passion through Microsoft flight sim 2020 threw the lock down i learned a lot about aviation.

Lincoln,

With all due respect MSFS is a game, flying is not. My son plays Madden football competitively but the Jets won’t be calling him to coach anytime soon.
Until you’re sitting at the controls of a small training airplane you really don’t know if your passion can become a reality.

If you’re serious you need to take an Intro or Discovery flight.

Adam

i understand you may get that conclusion i did not mention i have taken a discover flight and have taken a couple of flights at my local airport before stopping to focus on my high school.

That’s great. Now you just need to decide if you want to fly or be a cop?

Adam

Lincoln,

I would really try to decide which field you want to go into and focus on that one. Both law enforcement and aviation are very heavily driven by seniority and a lag in either of them will have lasting impacts on your career.

I have to point out that your capitalization, punctuation and sentence structure are horrendous; in some cases it is difficult to tell what point you are trying to convey. How you present yourself matters in any field. Spending just a few minutes more on your writing could really make the difference in how you present yourself to others.

Chris

1 Like

Lincoln,

As much as I respect LE and all those that serve, only you will be able to tell which career path you will want. I recommend taking some college courses (since you’re fresh out of high school) and figure out which path seems more desirable. The longer you wait, the lower seniority you’ll be while others figured it out during the time you sat. I recommend just taking your general education credits and knocking a few out now will only benefit you in the long run. Maybe by then you will be able to decide if you’re ready to be a LE or pilot?

Brady

Lincoln,

I agree with the others. Right out of high school, your focus should be continuing your education. Get your associates degree or even better your bachelors. Maybe over the next 2-4 years you’ll be able to refine your opinion on which career might fit you best.

If you decide it’s flying, as soon as you have your degree you can start flight training. If it’s law enforcement, you can head to an academy. But if you make a choice, stick with it as lost seniority can never be recovered.

Hannah