Airline readiness

Hello all,
I know that the statistics are great as far as ATP graduates working for airlines, but how prepared/confident did you feel showing up to your first day as an airline pilot? I know there is much to learn in every stage, which is exciting, but how was your experience?

Thank you,
Colby

Colby,

I’ve always been very vocal about the fact airline newhire training kicked my butt! Not trying to toot my horn but I always did well in school but this was a whole other level. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge to absorb and then you throw the physical skill aspects of flying into the mix and ALOT to deal with.

That’s really why I’m such a fan of ATPs. I honestly believe if ATP didn’t prepare me for learning at an accelerated pace and “drinking from the firehose”, I don’t think I would’ve been successful. Fortunately virtually all the airlines have made the transition to AQP, which is a somewhat kinder, gentler training philosophy, but it’s still very tough.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, and I appreciate your insight. Being former military and paramedic, the “pipeline” style training offered at ATP was very attractive to me. Sounds like it is an optimal training environment for entering the airline industry.

Colby,

For me, I felt like ATP prepared me well for new hire training because I was used to a fast paced environment and I had good study habits.

During each stage of training I felt overwhelmed by the amount of information that was presented, but the day before each stage check I felt confident going into it.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have prioritized my studying better. I was trying to learn everything all at once. It would have been better to learn what I needed to know for each phase one phase at a time. A mentor would have been a good thing to have.

Tory

1 Like

Colby,

I too felt like ATP prepared me well for the fast pace of future airline training. Right out of 1500 hours, I went to flight safety to get my first type rating in a CJ3. The program was 17 days start to finish (with 2 days off built in). The first 10 days was ground school and systems validations. The next 4 days, sims and final review for the checkride on day 17.

It was more information than I have ever consumed in such a short period of time but I had the skills to adapt to the challenge from my time at ATP.

Part 121 training was still tough but a bit more expanded than the flight safety training. Instead of 17 days to learn only the aircraft. Airline training involves Indoc reviewing company and FAA rules and regs. Then grounds school for systems and procedures and lastly the sims for a footprint of about 6 weeks to 2 months.

Hannah