Airline workers

Due to covid-19 I know there have been far fewer flights. What I would like to know is if A and P Mechanics were also slow on work. My thought is don’t planes need annual inspections and constant maintenance?

Andrew,

Planes do require regular mx but it’s generally not based on days or weeks but flight hours. Little or no flight hours equal little or no maintenance. Not to mention hundreds of planes have been parked indefinitely.

If you work for an airline in any capacity things are slow.

Adam

1 Like

It would depend on where you’re based and how flexible you are. While traffic is slower these days and of course flight hours, sitting planes still need constant maintenance to maintain their airworthiness. My airline has gotten very good at this over the past year when we had to park 35+ maxes. Daily run-ups and inspections. There is less work, yes. But depending on the company you will still be protected and they will still need people to maintain both the parked and flying aircraft. I’d call individual airlines if you’re interested in specific numbers or join an A&P group/forum.

1 Like

Andrew,

I am not sure, but I would imagine that with most of the fleet currently on the ground, there is a lot less work for the mechanics.

Chris