All Written Exams Complete - March 13 2023 Start

Emily,

As Adam said, the PHAK is great and should be read, but following the study guide strategies of Q & A’s, that is what will help you complete them in a more proficient and resourceful time. You will have plenty of time to fully learn everything once you complete the writtens. After you complete the PAR, we all recommend using Sheppard Air for every written thereafter.

Brady

Ryan,
Did you find that Sporty’s Study Buddy was sufficient preparation for the PAR? I too studied about 4-5 weeks after completing the ATP Orientation modules. Those modules helped considerably with learning PAR material on Sporty’s. I also took the time to learn most of the math, how to use the plotter, and E6B flight computer and found it made it easier to memorize.

I just took the three practice tests and scored 96, 100, 100; so now I’m paranoid that I might need supplemental study materials because I found the practice tests easy. Maybe I’m just well prepared and ready to take the exam, but wanted to check with you since it looks like you prepped similarly to me and took the exam already.

Let me know when you have a chance if Sporty’s was adequate on its own.

Thank you,
Jaime Gray

@JGray Hey Jaime, the wording of the questions on the real test are literally identical to the questions that you just scored on. I see no reason for you to do anything additional to what you’ve already done. Get your endorsement and knock it out asap, while the information is still as fresh as it could be.

Great job on your practice tests and good luck!

Hi Ryan,
What tips do you have to share? I’ve been reading, listening to the PHAK, King Schools, etc. Seems like there’s just so much information and my retention on some has been great, on others not so much. Should I just be going through Sporty’s questions? Or any other suggestions? Thanks, Kristen

That’s all I did. Get into Sporty’s and just start seeing questions. There’s about 1100 of them if I remember right. They are literally word for word, answer for answer, the same questions you’re going to see on the real thing.

2 Likes

You are the best. Been cranking them out now.

1 Like

I passed my PAR today - I wanted to thank everyone in here for all the information. I’ll be taking the rest of my tests when I start school. Besides the great advice in here the thing that helped me the most was a combination of the Sporty’s study buddy app + Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement Book in paperback (https://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Testing-Supplement-Recreational-FAA-CT-8080-2H-ebook/dp/B0BHTNVPJJ). The questions in the Sporty’s study buddy aligned with the diagrams in the supplement and I used the book to write the answers (from the study buddy app) on the pages and also draw diagrams, etc. with a sharpie. Hope that helps the rest of you out there.

6 Likes

Kristen,

Congrats on passing your PAR! The first one can seem pretty overwhelming when you have zero base knowledge. I’d argue it takes more time on average than any other written exams to prepare for.

For the IRA and every test after we recommend you switch to Sheppard Air for test prep. It’s a rote memory study strategy that gets the tests done efficiently and successfully. They say to expect 2ish weeks of prep per exam so you could potentially get that one done as well before you start in May! I believe you even get a discount as a student at ATP. (Definitely ask!)

Hannah

1 Like

Hello Kristen, how close were the questions on Sportys study buddy app to the actual test? if you had to do something different to help you what would you do?

@Sergio0341 Hey Sergio, the questions are question for question, answer for answer, identical to what you’re going to see on the real test. Same goes for the IRA, CAX, and all the others you use Sheppard Air for. Hope that helps!

1 Like

@aviatrix Congratulations! You’re going to continue to crush it

Congratulations Kristen!

Kristen,

Good work. Thanks for the update, keep them coming!

Chris

Kristen,

Nicely done on the PAR! I will say, having the supplemental book to study with is a game changer…

Brady

1 Like

Just had my first day at ATP, lots of people were recommending to knock at the knowledge tests ASAP. Lucky for me I used this post as a guideline and have already completed the PAR, IRA, FII, CAX and have the FIA scheduled. Everyone wished they would have done the same thing. Thank you for the great advice!

Kyle,

Great work on the writtens, that will be a huge advantage to you.

Chris

@Kmarzalen Great job man! I’m so happy that I have all of my stuff done. Really just gives you the chance to breathe and recharge the batteries when you need a day. I just passed my Private check ride last week so I’m officially allowed to rent an airplane! I was lucky with weather and got it done in about 7 weeks. So, now I’m about a week into instrument training and 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule for the program! Time flies

Kyle,

This is great! I came in with all my writtens completed and it felt like I was able to manage my workload so much nicer. However, ATP’s program is built around also completing the writtens, it is a nice feeling knowing you have something already checked off in the phase you’re in.

Brady