April 2017 Schedule

How often would a pilot be able to get over 95 hours? If I wanted to work more than that would they allow it? Based on the premiums would they limit you?

Hi Bailey,

Just to add to Chrisā€™ answers:

1. As Chris said 75-95 is normal BUT all airlines have minimum monthly hours which are typically 75.

2. Pilots on Reserve fly where, when and how much the airline needs. While itā€™s not really considered ā€œovertimeā€, you could find yourself flying more than you like.

3. ALL airline pilots work fulltime regardless of seniority. Airline pilot is not a part-time job.

4. All airlines have bases and once you gain some seniority you can chose. Most pilots either chose airlines that have bases near where they live or want to. Iā€™ve been fortunate in that Iā€™ve always been based near home.

Adam

Michael,

All airlines allow pilots to pick up ā€œopen tripsā€ to increase their monthly hours. Keep in mind that federal regulations prohibit pilots from flying over 100hrs a month.

Adam

Yea those FARā€™s. My work now Iā€™m there 260 hours plus per month! 100 hours a month doesnā€™t seem too bad. However Iā€™m sure it is a lot more taxing than it looks on paper.

Depends on the schedule and how itā€™s spaced out but yes it definitely can be. Keep in mind thatā€™s only actual ā€œflight hoursā€ and doesnā€™t take into account pre-flight, delays, transport to/from airport etc.

Adam

Chris, not sure if youā€™re a commuter or not but, do commuters have to travel on their days off? For example; would a two day off schedule between trips mean two days of travel between trips?

John,

Youā€™re responsibility as a pilot is to be at the airport for your flight. What you do when youā€™re off is entirely up to you. If youā€™re a commuter with 2 days off you can go home if itā€™s convenient or stay close to the airport, but know that if you stay near base (or anywhere else) thatā€™s on you for accommodations. Thatā€™s one of the reasons most commuters keep a crash pad near base so they donā€™t have to go home if they donā€™t want to.

Adam

John,

I am a commuter, have been for twelve years. Yes, many times commuters have to travel on their days off. If you have an early start to your trip, you will need to come in the night before. If your trip finishes late, well then you are stuck there that night.

So yes, two days off could easily involve commuting on both days. Trust me on this one, move to where you are based.

Chris

1 Like

Do you find that some pilots start off commutting, from an area where its less expensive, and when they obviously gain seniority, more pay and all that good stuff, they eventually move to where there based?

Melek,

It seems to me that most pilots either commute their entire careers, or live locally. I donā€™t think commuting usually has a whole lot to do with cost of living. Instead it usually revolves around family ties, where the person is from, a desire to live in the middle of nowhere, etc.

Remember, you donā€™t need to be right next to the airport. Take EWR for example, Bergen County is nearby and is very expensive, but many pilots live across the state line in Bucks County, PA where it is much cheaper to live and still about 1:20 from the airport.

Chris

Chris,

When you commute do you have to pay for tickets to your destination or you just get on an empty seat at any airline? How does it work?

Thanks,

Francisco,

Pilots have the ability to jumpseat, which means we can fly for free on virtually all airlines. If thereā€™s no seats in the back we can ride in the cockpit. Problem is they also fill so you have to plan ahead.

Adam

Francisco.

Adam explained the logistics of the seats. I should point out that most pilots generally leave one or even two flights early to make sure they are there in time, so there is significant dead time in commuting.

Chris

Francisco,

United has a program with discount tickets. If you fly for a regional that operates under United in any capacity you would get this benefit. When a commute looks really bad, I buy a discount ticket ahead of time so I donā€™t have to stress. They are typically quite cheap. Being a commuter myself, I set aside a part of my income for commuter tickets in case I need one.

Hannah

Hannah,

Is there a certain % discount? Or is it a flat price?

Ben

Ben,

Iā€™m not sure actually. Itā€™s through a different portal so you only get to see the ticket price offered, no comparison like a sale item in a store unfortunately. The prices fluctuate based on the departure time and loads. So the 6am flight is always the cheapest while the 2pm most expensive over the course of the day. The closer you get towards the departure day and time and if the loads get worse, the discount ticket price also goes up (supply and demand like full fare tickets). Itā€™s my guess itā€™s a certain percentage.

Iā€™m sure one of these times I could go and compare to google flights or the United website for the same flight number and start to get a rough idea.

Hannah

1 Like