25. off
  26. off
  27. off
  28. LGA-IAH, IAH-YYZ
  29. all day in YYZ
  30. YYZ-ORD, ORD-SNA
1 Like

Chris,

I noticed that the last three days of the month started in LGA and ended in SNA. From your schedule, it looks like your EWR based. Was it reassignment, extra flying, or are you still on reserve so you had to DH to LGA to cover the flying?

Yuran

I flew SNA-IAH, IAH-LGA on July 1st, but I did not include that in the post.

While most of us say we are EWR based, and we do most of our flying out of there, we are actually NYC based, so we cover EWR, LGA and JFK. Thus, it is our responsibility to get to and from any of those airports to begin or end a trip.

Chris

Oh that makes sense. I know a few people in the same situation with LGA and JFK. Thanks for the share.

Chris,

I was wondering what a typical schedule for a United pilot would look like for someone who flies international routes out of LAX or SFO. Do they fly the whole 14 hours to Asia? Since the flights are way longer than domestic flights, are the intervals between each new flight further apart? Thank you

Joseph

Joseph,

I’ll let Chris give you specifics on UA but FAR Part 117 prohibits any pilot from flying more that 8hrs. without rest. What that means is on any flight that’s scheduled for longer than 8hrs the flight would require 1 additional crewmember (aka IRO, International Relief Officer) so each crewmember could receive a rest period during the flight. Flight scheduled for longer than 12hrs (ie, your 14hr flight to Asia) would require 2 additional pilots (aka a “heavy” crew). As long as that is adhered to, while the pilots require a longer rest period at the destination, the interval between flights need not be that much longer. The thing about it is by doing the longer flights (and therefore building more hours on a trip) pilots will fly far fewer trips in a month.

Adam

Joseph,

Any flights over 12 hours will have four pilots, so they will take breaks and split the workload. I have never done that kind of flying, but I would suspect that they work about 14 days per month, meaning three to four trips per month.

Chris

Thank you for the quick response. Would you say that the majority of the pilots you personally know like to fly relatively shorter domestic flights or longer intercontinental flights and your own personal opinion on which one has a better quality of life. Thank you.

Joseph

Joseph,

Would you say more people’s favorite color is blue or green? Do more people like vanilla or chocolate? Chicken or beef? Mustard or ketchup? Cats or dogs? Coke or Pepsi? Delta or United or American? (I could go on but hopefully you’re getting my point). Just as different people enjoy different foods, cars, and just about anything you can think of different pilots have different preferences. Some love the long haul and some don’t. I flew the A330 for 2yrs and hated it. I now fly Interisland and love it. I have friends who agree with me and others who think I’m nuts. Better “quality of life”? Again you’re asking questions that are 100% subjective. To me being home every night sleeping in my own bed is at the top of my list of QOL but again I know tons of pilots who love packing a bag and having their bed made every morning? The long haul guys have more days off but I again am home every night. Which is better? Do you like Chicago or NY pizza? (that’s actually a trick question as there really is no comparison :wink: ).

Adam

1 Like

Joseph,

I would say that most pilots prefer the longer, international flights because it is simply easier. I prefer staying stateside myself as I like the conveniences of being in the US.

Chris

so for every eight hours of flying what is the minimum rest period?

Tyler,

Flights 8hrs or less don’t require a rest period (during the flight which is what we’re talking about) which is why that’s the maximum amount for a 2 pilot crew. As for “required rest” before the flight or between days you need to look at FAR Part 117 Table B which takes into account your start time and number of segments.

Adam

What type of plane is this one?

Airbus 319/320

Adam,

Not to derail the post, BUT I would like to state that although I’m a Redsox fan, NY has some of the best pizza! I tried both, there’s really no comparison haha

Yuran

So on the days you end at one of those 3 bases, are you back at home those nights?

Ethan,

Chris commutes. If his trip finishes early enough he can jump on a flight home, if not he spends an extra night away.

Adam

I would say that with about 70% of my trips, I am able to get home to either SBN or ORF the same day my trip finishes. The other 30% I end up spending the night in EWR and coming home the next morning.