Arrest history/career advice

Greetings fellow aviation enthusiasts/aviators. I’d introduce myself formally, but I believe a degree of anonymity is prudent given my question.

I’ve researched this extensively and cannot find concrete answers regarding it. The answers are all over the map ranging from 0 possibility to it won’t be an issue. So rather than continuing to see conflicting results, I’m seeking advice from actual pilots on the matter.

I’m currently 27 years old and attending a part 141 school that also includes a 4 year degree. I start flight school May 17th and am projected to graduate when I’m 30.

When I was 23, I was arrested for battery under the family violence act involving my then wife. I won’t go into the details too much, but essentially here’s where I am at. When the dust settled, I was able to have the charge dismissed using a pre trial diversion program. Essentially a took a class and the case was dismissed. I ended up with custody of my daughter and have maintained that since. No other trouble before or after the incident. While I believe the charge was frivolous, there were a lot if things I could have done better and I’m certainly not proud to be writing this post.

What I’ve read so far as that I shouldn’t have and issue getting in with the regionals after school and hitting the ATP minimums. However I want to progress to the majors and that’s where I’m seeing conflicting answers. I’ve also obtained the class 1 medical to get that step out of the way, though I know it will have a renewal.

I’m just uncertain of how the FAA will look at it. Are they only concerned about whether or not I was convicted? Or do they look more at the details and the whole person? I was not convicted of the charge. For me personally, I’ve accepted that even if I can’t move further than regionals, it will still be worth it for me. But I’d certainly like to advance all the way if I can.

Best wishes,

Robin,

You’re looking for concrete answers to a question that doesn’t have one. Even if you had no record and no arrests no one can guarantee anyone will make it to the Majors. You however have a strike. You could (and probably will) be fine. But if you have the misfortune of having a pilot on your panel who’s daughter was the victim of domestic abuse you’re dead in the water. In truth there could also be a pilot on your panel who doesn’t like the way you answered one of their questions or the color of your tie.

Work hard, do well, don’t bust checkrides, keep your record clean and you should have a good shot at reaching your goals. But if you’re looking for concrete answers to what may or may not happen in you future that’s not going to happen.

Adam

Thank you Adam. I could have asked the question better. As in, would this be an instant deal breaker or disqualifier. And from what I’ve derived from your answer, it appears to be no. So I will give it my all and let the chips fall where they may.

Do you have any insight on the background check process for the majors? It’s my understanding that the arrest WILL show in the federal background even though a conviction never happened. I’ve also read that the application questions are phrased as “have you ever” instead of “were you convicted.” I certainly have no intention of being dishonest. Just trying to gather as much insight from reliable sources as possible.

Thank you!

Robin,

As Adam said, we can’t give you an answer but we can provide a little background to help give you an idea. The fact that you have your First Class medical already is good. Time is key on these kinds of things. You say you’re 27 now and it happened at 23 so it’s already been 4 years. By the time you graduate it will have been 7 years ago. I assume once you graduate you’ll still need to time build to 1500 hours a bit. So maybe add a year to that, so 8 years from incident that you’ll be interviewing from the regionals. You said you have no prior incidents and it’s imperative you keep it that way. Keep it as squeaky clean as possible, I mean even no parking tickets, speeding tickets, etc. You want to be able to interview and be completely honest and transparent about that incident, show you’ve been clean ever since and display an exceptional flight record (no checkride busts). That’s the best way you can set yourself up for success. I think you should be fine getting hired by the regionals. Estimate at least 4 years there. By the time you’re interviewing for the majors it could be 11 years since the incident. Getting over 10 years is a good hurdle when it comes to the majors.

Hannah

Thank you Hannah. I’m going all in on this career move. Whatever is meant to be will always be. I look forward to spending time here and continuing to grow and learn. I’ll likely be documenting my progress, and there will be many more questions to come I’m sure of it. I appreciate the honesty and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

I’m thinking of screenshotting your responses and removing this post. That way I can self identify and open up more on future posts.

Best wishes,

Sounds good! Please do let us know if you have any other questions. Keep us posted on how things are progressing!

-Hannah

No conviction = no issue with Canada. So that is one less obstacle.

Can’t add anything else more than what others have said.

Chris F

Robin,

This is certainly unfamiliar territory and to be honest, I do not know. I would not say that it is an instant deal breaker. but I certainly think it will make things harder for you.

I am not sure how the background checks work. I would recommend calling the recruiting departments of several major and regional airlines and asking them directly.

Chris

Hello again Chris, Hannah, and Adam. I thought of a follow up question while planning my career. If one major such a United tells me no because of my past, that doesn’t necessarily mean I am barred from the other majors such a Delta or AA am I?

Robin,
That’s correct. If one major has an issue with your past you can always go and interview at others. Each are separate applications. However, just keep in mind if one has an issue the others might as well. If you have that trouble the low cost carriers tend to be more lenient.

-Hannah

Robin,

As Hannah said, many pilots get passed on from one airline and are successful elsewhere. This is one of the reasons I always advise against putting all your eggs in one airline basket.

Adam

Robin,

No, it does not mean that at all.

Chris

Hi Robin,

TSA has disqualifying offenses. Your offense is not on the list Disqualifying Offenses and Other Factors | Transportation Security Administration. What is going to be the determining factor in success is total transparency.
Tell the truth, the whole truth. Airlines will find out everything including arrests. They outsource background checks to 3rd party companies ie HireRight.

You will more likely succeed by explaining why you did it, what you did to change, and what you learned from it. Take full responsibility and don’t blame others.

Since most airlines like mine, interviews are based on tell me about a time when questions, this can be used as an example.

Employment applications will ask have you ever or within last 10 years. Majors look back at lifetime.

After conditional offer of employment is when background checks are conducted.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Craig,