Asking the age question again; is 50 too old

Am I still marketable for a major air carrier? I’m 50 yrs old, retired military pilot. I have 3500 hrs of fighter aircraft time, but I haven’t “flown” in 7 years. I got into the drone business when I retired, which has been great as far as money goes; now, I really miss flying and would like something I can do until I am 65.
My plan was to use my GI bill to get my ATP and a type, then try to fly for a commuter to get back in the saddle. Would the airlines even consider me?
Thanks,

Bill,

I recommend you check the forum as this has been discussed so much it’s in our FAQs. That said your situation is a little different since you have the hours. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time (or GI Bill) on an ATP rating. I’d get current (IPC, BFR etc), convert what you have to a Commercial license (if you haven’t already) and get hired at a Regional ASAP. At 50 you don’t want to waste time and the Regional will get you your ATP as part of your newhire training. Any Regional would hire you tomorrow. Fly for a Regional for a couple then try and move on.

Adam

Bill,

I think you still have a shot at the majors, but you will absolutely need to spend a year or two flying at the regionals first. I would not spend any money on a type, just go out to a local airport, get current (and I mean really current, not just on paper) and apply to the regionals.

Chris