ATP Before or After?

Hello everyone, my name is Henry. I am interested in pursuing a career as a pilot. I was hoping to get some feedback on whether I should complete ATP training before or after college. I am interested in eventually flying for a major airline and it is my understanding that I will more then likely need a 4-Year Degree with a focus on Aviation. I was wondering if I should go the route of completing training before I get this degree or work towards this degree while flying regional . Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for the help.

Henry,

We address this in our FAQ section but if you’re young we always encourage people to finish their educations first. It’s simply an easier process and also affords you a few more years of growing up which most people need. ATP will not even accept students right out of HS unless they have their PPLs and even then it’s best to wait.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for the response Adam! I’m 21 years old. After I graduated as a junior I jumped straight into the Sales industry. I appreciate your feedback!

Henry,

If that’s the case ATP might (you’d have to check with admin) if your work qualifies as “equivalent work experience” to a 2yr degree. Keep in mind as you stated the Majors want a degree so that would probably mean online once you’re hired by a Regional. If you were considering going to ATP and then perhaps instructing to build time while you’re in school that’s an option but you need to make sure you fly consistently enough to keep yourself sharp. When you enter airline training they expect you to be a experienced and proficient and you will not be afforded time to get up to speed.

Adam

1 Like

Henry,

The degree doesn’t have to be in aviation. It can be if that’s what you want to study, but it can be in anything you want.

Tory

1 Like

So I would need to get back in touch with ATP. To inquire about “Equivalent Work Experience.” Correct?

Henry,

Yes. Admin makes those decisions.

Adam

Alright awesome!

Henry,

I would actually recommend against having an aviation degree. There is no need for one in this industry and it is better to have something that you can fall back on if you ever need to for any reason. The airlines just want to see that you can be committed to something for four years.

Chris