ATP or Aviation degree

Hi all,
I am not sure if this has been answered but I have not been able to find it. I am currently making the decision on whether or not to go to ATP and go to college while I’m at the regional level or go to a college with a avaition degree. I understand that I do not need an aviation degree but I would rather get a jump on my training now. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Depending on what your age is, go to college and get a degree in something else. Once done with that go through ATP to follow your dream. The degree will be a good fall back if anything happens where you can’t fly. I think most of the mentors will say the same thing. Now if you are a little older like me (35), go to ATP and then knock out college while flying for the regionals.

Tyler,

I’m currently in recurrent training and I literally just had this conversation with the FO I’m paired with. He was one of the 69 pilots from my airline that were furloughed. Fortunately his time out was brief but he was wrestling with what to do if it wasn’t. His conclusion was that getting an aviation degree (which is has) was and is completely pointless. The airlines don’t want one and there’s literally nothing else you can do with one so what’s the point?

If you’re young, go to college, major in your Plan B and then ATP. If you’re not do ATP first then use that credit to expedite your degree. That’s really the only good reason to get an aviation degree.

Adam

1 Like

Yes I apologize I should have mentioned that I am 19. I appreciate your response. At least in my opinion I don’t see the point in working my tail off for a major I probably won’t use. I’d rather work my tail off to get to the airliners. Whether that’s getting my aviation degree or fast tracking my route to get there by going to ATP and going to college while in the regionals if need be. Again appreciate your input but just for me I don’t want to go through college without flying.

Ultimately it is up to you. Just realize that if you go to school while flying for the regionals it will probably be online. It might take you longer to complete it causing you to stay at the regionals even longer. I have heard from a few people that aviation programs can usually take a lot longer to get through. People I talked to there were going through Western Michigan have waited almost a year to do their private check ride. After about five years of school they still have to build their time too. I would look into it completely and ask some of the students where they are at in training and how long they have been there. Also you have to be at least 23 to have an unrestricted ATP. There is a lot to think about.

Tyler,
At 19, you can absolutely do college first and still be younger than most FOs at the regionals. Major in something you have an interest in and would be happy doing in case of a temporary career furlough. That’s our top recommendation for you.
If you have this itch to get going in your flight training now, you can but you’ll have a very busy four years at the regionals flying and getting your degree online.

-Hannah

Tyler,

It’s your decision and it sounds like you’ve made. Do you have any flight experience? If not I strongly recommend you do before you make your final decision. Many people believe they want to be pilots until they actually get their hands on the controls (sitting in back of an Airbus or playing MSFS doesn’t count).

Adam

Tyler,

I recommend that you go to college first, get a degree, then go to flight training. I understand you have the desire to get up in the air, but it really is best to finish college first. It sounds great to say that you will get a degree while at the regionals, but life often gets in the way of that. It is simply easier to stay in school mode right out of high school.

Now, going to flight school first and then finishing a degree later is certainly an option and many people before you have done it. Just make sure that you are dedicated to finishing the degree.

Chris

1 Like