ATP Career Pilot Program Schedule Questions

Can I begin the Airline Pilot Career Program at ATP, obtain the private pilots license, return to college, then return to complete the program?

I am currently a rising senior mechanical engineering student at Clemson and my career goal is to become an airline pilot. I would, however, like to complete my engineering degree. I’ve spoken with a family friend who is an airline pilot with American Airlines and he suggested obtaining a private license over the summer, then maintaining the license until I finish my degree. I’ve spent a long time looking at pilot programs and I am very interested in the ATP pilot career program, however, there seems to be no information about whether you can seperate the program. I noticed that in the scheduling information it says a private pilots license takes around 3 months, and I have a little over 3 months of available time this summer. The alternative would be to obtain a private pilot license over the summer then join the program after graduation in May 2020. I understand that the program may only be available if each portion could be completed consecutively. Any suggestions for the path I should take?

Thank you!

Roscoe,

Short answer is no you cannot. ATP has no separate programs and the success of the program is dependent on consistency which means you dive in and keep going.

I am curious as to what benefit your friend believes obtaining your Private license first and then simply maintaining would be? The only time I generally recommend getting your PPL first would be if you’re uncertain if this what you really want to do. If that’s the case then sure, take some lessons or even earn your PPL before you commit to 9 mos and $80k. If that’s not the case then I really don’t see the point. Both the airlines and the military train daily as does ATP. ATP has been successfully training pilots for the airlines for over 30yrs. If you believe ATP is the best route for you then why not start on that path with that program from Day 1.

That’s my suggestion.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for the response!

While I am completing an engineering degree, I am fairly certain that I would like to be an airline pilot. The reason my friend made this suggestion was because for the past 2 months I have been looking for engineering internships over the summer. He made the point that if I really wanted to be an airline pilot, an internship would only be beneficial if I really needed the money or for experience. Instead he presented the idea that I could get a head start on my PPL instead of doing an internship. If I was graduating this year, no doubt I would be starting the ATP program as soon as possible. I am just trying to figure out the best way to spend the 3/4 months I have free this summer before I complete my senior year. What would be the best suggestion for this time?

Thanks!

Roscoe,

You would need to complete the program in one chunk. The program works because it provides consistent training over many months. If you want to get your PPL outside of the program and then come to ATP, that is certainly an option.

Chris

Roscoe,

Here’s a wild idea. Why not just enjoy your last summer of college and start the program from the beginning in 2020? It may be the last summer you get until you dedicate the next 2ish years of your life to earning ratings and building experience towards the regionals.

Unless you absolutely have to pick one or the other. I’d start working on your PPL. Just know that if you do that, starting this early will certainly add up. Not only do you need to consider the up front cost just to earn the rating, you’ll need to build time throughout your senior year, 78+ total time and 6+ cross country PIC. Just before enrollment, you’ll then need to be proficient. That’s where most fall short. Proficiency means being ready to pass a check ride. Most credit for private students gave me headaches because they weren’t proficient private pilots. They walked in with a lot of confidence until they couldn’t differentiate between the 3 class G airspaces, for example. Remember, credit for private means you will jump right into instrument training. There’s little time to teach you what you should already know.

So, if you want to earn your PPL over summer, be prepared to spend more than average to stay proficient. Or enjoy the summer. 3 months towards the end of your senior year take as many written exams as you can before you start training.
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html. Or both! Up to you.

Tory

Tory,

That you for your response!

I do agree that the program is probably best completed all at once so that it is easier to build on the knowledge taught in the earlier portions . So, I think I will most likely take your advice and begin the program in 2020 after I graduate. I’m very much looking forward to beginning!

Thanks,

Roscoe

1 Like

One of the other students that was with my instructor recently is doing this. He completed his private portion and will be coming back to finish up his instrument and commercial/CFI stuff next summer. However, I personally would rather do it all at once.

I also don’t know if it was a special case or what, I don’t think it is something that they do very often

Breaking up the program is only done in very limited circumstances. Beyond that, it is just not a good idea as consistency is key.

Chris

1 Like