What to Do

Hello, I’m a 17-year-old currently in my last semester of high. I want to finish a four-year college and then attend ATP academy. I want to know whether I should get my private pilot license whiles in college or get my private pilot license when I’m doing the seven-month ATP course

Joshua,

My question for you would be why would you want to get your PPL prior to ATP? If you’ve decided ATP is the best route for you to do your training, and the Private phase will be the foundation that all your training will be based on, why would you want to do it elsewhere?

Honestly the only time we recommend getting your PPL first is if you’re uncertain if flying is really something you want or can do. If that’s the case then sure it makes sense to get your PPL, or at least do some training, prior to enrolling in the program but if not it really doesn’t. Unless you have some other reason?

Adam

Joshua,

We recommend acquiring your Private Pilot Certificate outside of ATP if you’re questioning this career path. As Adam mentioned, the foundation of your training during Private can set the standards for the remainder of your training. I trained my PPL outside of ATP, I was questioning whether I wanted to take the leap then or wait, it took me 13 months to acquire my PPL. I was not flying regularly, weather and instructor availability was an issue for me. I was fortunate enough to complete my PPL in minimal time (not everyone can do that, and I do not recommend rushing). When I attended ATP I had to break bad habits, thankfully I was able to put them on the back burner and focus on the airline-oriented training that ATP trains like.

A question that I have and I’m sure the others have, do you have any flight experience in a small airplane? I would recommend the steps you could take is get a logbook and do a few discovery flights… might as well log the hours if you would want to get your license.

Brady

Joshua,

It’s often inferred if you can do a cheaper program coming in with a credit private, that would be best. That’s not the case. The credit private option is only there for those who got their private as an exploratory phase before committing to the airline career pilot program. If you break down the cost, it’s $20k for the private license but you’ll end up with nearly 60 hours in your logbook. Many local schools will quote you for the bare minimum FAA hours to get a private license making it look like a bargain. However, it’s just not realistic.

Hannah

I’m certain about flying and I would like to attend ATP right after high school, but my parents want me to attend a 4-year university and get my bachelor’s degree first. While I’m in college I want to get my PPL, familiarize myself with aircraft, and stack up my flight hours.

Joshua,

Your parents are right, you should get a 4yr degree. The Majors want one and it’s always good to have a backup in case flying doesn’t work out.

Getting your PPL first is fine. Just know training part time is often expensive and frustrating and you probably won’t rack up as many hours as you think but that’s your decision.

Adam

Joshua,

For your training outside of ATP, I recommend getting a decent amount of funds ready, you will want to fly twice if not three times a week. There is a reason ATP and the airlines train consistently on a daily basis. The more gap between flight lessons the less chance to stay proficient and improve your skills. As Hannah mentioned, I would recommend figuring the cost for 60 hours.

Brady

Would you recommend that I get my PPL while in college and train for 5 months at ATP or get my PPL with ATP’s seven month course after college?

Joshua,

I’ll ask the question again, IF you’ve decided to do your training with ATP AND you’re ready to commit, why would you want to do your primary training elsewhere?

Adam

I will take the seven month ATP course after university, since that seems like the most efficient way of learning how to be pilot. In tbe meantime I will do online courses offered by ATP and other sources so I can familiarize myself in aviation while in University. Thank you!

Joshua,

You don’t mention any flight experience? If in fact you have none (and no riding in the back of an Airbus going to grandma’s doesn’t count) you really need to do an intro flight or take a lesson before you do anything else. While many believe they want to fly for a living, until you’ve actually been to in a small training airplane you won’t know for certain.

Adam

I have no experience flying in a plane except from traveling in an airbus. Can you please give me recommendations of places where I can get an intro flight or take lessons?

Joshua,

If there’s an ATP location near you they have a great Intro/Admission flight program. If not simply contact your nearest flight school.

Preview Student Online Modules / ATP Flight School / ATP Flight School.

Adam

1 Like