ATP CFI Jobs

I am currently in the process of getting everything in order to start training in the spring, I know someone who is planning on going to another school in Florida. It is one of those basic get in get your Certs and move on types of schools. They have been trying to talk me into going to that school instead because it will be much cheaper. I told them that one of the advantages of ATP is that they offer graduates the opportunity to stay within ATP and Instruct, this negates the need to hunt for a job to fill the remaining flight hours needed.

They told me that once they get their CFI they can go to their local ATP and instruct. I guess my question is, Does ATP Hire outside instructors or is my friend being lied to?

ATP almost never hires outside instructors. One of the reasons that ATP works so well is that the instructors went through the same exact training that you will. This keeps everybody on the same page and insures that everybody is standard. If the company were to hire a CFI from another flight school they would not be able to guarantee that same degree of standardization.

As to the cost, be sure to ask your friend if his school is offering fixed pricing, or quoting him a number based off of a flight time estimate (which is probably very overly optimistic).

Pat,

Honestly aside from the quality of training ATP’s pricing is really hard to beat. Apples to apples I’ve yet to see any school that provides the training, licenses/ratings and flight time ATP provides for a comparable price. Factor in the school’s reputation, guaranteed instructor job and Tuition Reimbursement/Regional alliances and the program is hard to beat.

While I can’t say it’s never happened, as Chris said it’s extremely rare. I wish your friend luck.

Adam

I am sure it is not a fixed price. She told me that it was going to cost 50K including housing to go from 0 hours to CFI. I am going to guess that is the bare minimum price and that it will probably go up in cost.

I’m worried they are going to either a) have to pay much more then expecting to or b) end up wasting their time and money.

They are advertising 0-250 hrs, Commercial ME in 16 weeks.

I’d be worried too. No one is giving flight training away. It costs money to fly and service airplanes and pay instructors. What about multi-time?

Adam

I don’t know, Their structure is confusing. It looks like you start with the Single engine Commercial program then can add on the Multi-engine and the CFI for added costs.

Single engine program - 0-190 hrs $32,500
97 HOURS DUAL C-172
61 HOURS SOLO C-172
15 HOURS DUAL PA-28 (COMPLEX)
11 HOURS RED BIRD FMX SIMULATOR
6 HOURS FRASCA 141 SIMULATOR
1.5 HOURS SOLO PA-28 (COMPLEX) (Commercial checkride)
100 HOURS GROUND SCHOOL**

Add Multi-Engine for $3,600
6 HOURS DUAL MULTI-ENGINE PA-23-250
4 HOURS DUAL MULTI-ENGINE FULL MOTION SIMULATOR
5 HOURS GROUND

and Single engine CFI for $6,900 for multi-engine add another $7,700
10 HOURS DUAL PA-28
5 HOURS RED BIRD FMX SIMULATOR
1.5 HOURS SOLO PA-28 (CFI Check Ride)
40 HOURS GROUND SCHOOL CLASS
20 HOURS PRE AND POST FLIGHT BRIEFINGS

The CFI you get from ATP, is that a single engine or Multi-Engine? Also what about CFII?

At ATP you get all 3 CFI’s (CFI, MEI and CFII) included.

The biggest hole I see in the above is the multi. Everyone talks about the 1500hrs to get hired by a Regional but many have multi mins as well and even if they don’t the FAA requires 50hrs of multi for your ATP certificate. Where is that going to come from? With 6hrs of multi time no one is going to rent you a twin and most local flight schools don’t have twins. I’m also not so certain I’d like to do my initial multi training in an Aztec but that’s another conversation.

As always everyone needs to make their own decisions and I appreciate money is a huge factor BUT you really need to look long term. I also cannot stress enough ATP is one of the few schools offering Tuition Reimbursement from their Regional partners which actually brings the cost to equal with the above PLUS you’re getting 40hrs multi, a guaranteed job which will result in you getting hired by a Regional in min time. ATP had over 300 pilots hired by the Regionals last year alone, can the other school say the same? $50,000 is ALOT of money to gamble with.

Adam

I completely agree, I have been trying to drop hints to her. I may have to get a little more aggressive, as this is a family member I really would hate for her to spend all this money and not get everything she needs.