ATP CFI Placement Question

Hello!

I am currently enrolled at an ATP facility in Florida working through the program. Hopefully if all goes to plan I will be completing the program and starting my CFI career in late August. My question relates to ATP CFI placement after being hired on.

A little background: My current CFI trained in Florida and stayed in Florida, as well as the other instructors at the facility. Is this common, or are there options for placement outside of the state you are trained in? If so, where are these positions posed and how are CFI chosen for these locations? I would assume it would be first priority for those who trained at the ATP facility, but interested in hearing from those who moved locations.

Somewhat related: Has anyone trained / instructed at the ATP Ogden, Utah facility? If so how was your experience?

Thank you for any and all advise! Apologize if this post should have been posted in another portion of the forum / if the answer can be found elsewhere.

Daniel,

When you get towards the end of the program ATP will give you a list of available locations. Hopefully there’s one on there that works for you. At that point you can either choose one that does (obviously that’s ideal), take another location and hope to transfer if a slot opens (no guarantee) or try and find another job at another flight school locally.

If you can take the position I strongly recommend it as I’ve heard positions at local schools have been getting scarce.

Adam

Daniel,

By the way, congratulations on your solo! I remember mine well, I was slightly terrified :slight_smile:

Tell your dad hello for me, please.

Chris

Hey! Training at Ogden currently. Fairly busy Class D, the practice area is covered by SLC Approach for traffic advisory, and there’s an untowered airport about 15 minutes north. So far it’s been pretty nice, with only a tiny bit of weather… but that seems to change at any time. The FBO is really friendly, and the ATC guys are nice as well. Any other specific questions?

Hi Adam!
Thank you for the response! Makes sense. Would be happy to instruct just about anywhere but good to know there might be some options.
Thanks again!

Hi Chris!
Haha it was a little intense but happy to now have a few solos under my belt. I’ll tell Dave you say hello!

Hey Bennett!
Thanks for the great info! Sounds like despite the weather you guys go a good amount of flying. Utah is at the top of my list to instruct, beautiful country out that way! Good luck man!