ATP or 4 year program

Hello my name is Michael and I am currently an aviation major student at a university (would prefer not to name school). I am a sophomore and I am only at the half mark of getting my private pilot license. As you can see I am very far behind. I am very motivated and I want to fly every single day, but I am not getting the opportunity. The school I go to has record breaking numbers of enrollment for flight students and there is now a shortage of instructors and there is a shortage of planes available. The planes are very old and many of them are constantly being worked on. Many of the instructors have 15 students they have to instruct each and all of those students have class to attend to (including myself). My lack of flying and the program overall has been stressing me out and I am honestly fed up with the program overall. I recently looked into other options and I came across the ATP Flight School. There is one fairly close to where I live. I would like to try and graduate early and finish getting my private here and then go to ATP to finish my instrument and commercial ratings. I told my parents about my desire to do this and they are very hesitant. They feel that one day the aviation industry will become extremely competitive and those who have a pro flight degree at a 4 year program will get the job over someone who got their ratings at ATP school. I plan on getting a degree in an aviation related field and I plan on getting a business minor as well. My question is: Are my parents right? Does someone who got their ratings at a 4 year program have the advantage over someone who got their ratings at ATP Flight School? Does this sound like a realistic goal for me? Am I making a valid point by wanting to continue my flying somewhere else where I can get it done faster after college? I will graduate at 22 years old and from what I have seen it will only take me about two years to get hired by an airline. I really want to make the switch, but my parents are hesitant because they are not educated enough on the topic and they do not believe I know enough to make this decision on my own. Can someone help me educate my parents to allow me to do this? Anything helps!
Thanks!
Michael

Michael,

First of all you have to understand where you’re parents are coming from. I’m reasonably certain the school you’re at isn’t inexpensive and I’m equally as certain you’re the one who sold them on it. Further now that things aren’t panning out how you like you want to bail. Understand I’m not saying your folks are right I’m just saying you probably should’ve done better research up front and you should understand their trepidation.

That all said your parents are half right. No one knows how long this shortage will last and if things slow it will definitely become a more competitive market. Where they’re mistaken is in thinking that any university program is more respected than ATPs. ATP has been training pilots AND getting them hired by airlines for over 30 years (almost 700 in the last 12mos alone). The airlines want educated pilots and desire a 4yr degree. It may seem counterintuitive but they really don’t care what degree you have. What they do care about is hiring skilled pilots who’ve successfully demonstrated their ability to complete an accelerated training program and won’t struggle during newhire training. ATP students have proven that for decades.

You probably should include some apologies in your discussions but in the end your making a better decision.

Adam

3 Likes

Michael,

It could. The major airlines are still competitive. The regionals are hiring as many qualified pilots as they can find (exaggeration, but mostly true). Further, ATP is well respected in the industry. They produce more professional pilots than any other school. Plus, an aviation degree from a 4-year university is just as good as any other degree from any 4-year university.

Yes, but it sounds like your parents are paying for your education, which is probably why they’re reluctant to allow you to join another school after graduation and drop another $100k+. Their arguments for wanting you to stay where you are aren’t sound, but their reluctance to pay for flight training at another school is defendable.

Tory

1 Like

I appreciate you responding so fast and appreciate the feedback. I would like to further add that I did not mean to come off as ungrateful for what my parents have done for me. I completely understand why they are hesitant. I have many family members that went to the university I go to now and they ended up as very successful pilots. That is the main reason why I decided to go to the school and everything did not seem to be falling apart there until my class arrived. My class was by far the biggest the program has ever seen and I believe that is why the program is not up to par at the moment. I am extremely grateful for what my parents have done for me, but I would like to make a change because I am extremely motivated and extremely eager to get into the air. Thanks again, Adam, for your feedback.
Michael

Thank you for responding so quickly, Tory. I should have specified that my parents are not paying for all of my flight training. They just want to make sure that if I am going to take out a loan and put myself in that much debt that it is for a good reason and for a good program. I am on scholarship at school and am trying to put most of the pressure of bills and debt on myself. They just do not want to see me make the wrong decision and come out with so much debt and having nothing to show for it. I am also very glad to see that I can get a degree in anything. I figured that someone with an aviation related major would have the advantage, but based off of what you said, I can branch out and get a degree in any field as long as I have one. Thanks again for the feedback and I apologize for not being specific on who is paying for what.

Michael

No apology required. I owe you one for assuming. Now that we’ve established that your degree can be in anything and the industry is as good as ever, your desire to leave your current school makes perfect sense in my eyes.

Tory

1 Like

Michael,

Graduating with a four year degree in aviation gives one absolutely no advantage in regards to the airlines. The vast majority of pilots that I know do not have aviation degrees. My degree is in business, I know people with degrees in everything from art history to piano composition. The airlines just want to see that somebody has a four year degree, that is all.

I would recommend doing some serious research and laying out all of the facts to your parents. Our FAQ section has some valuable information that both you and them might find helpful.

Chris

1 Like

The way the airlines are structured right now seniority is the key to retention. Should the market become more competitive to get in or stay in the more time you have in the seat the better. If ATP will get you in the seat faster, you can get the 4 year degree distance learning while working. I am probably close to your parents age and a distance learning degree when I went to college did not stack up so that may be one trepidation they have. However, brick and mortar degrees do not seem to have the advantage they once did…if you find a reputable distance learning option. Perhaps your current college has one of these and you will not even loose credits. It will take discipline on your part, but in some respects the self drive earning a degree distance learning takes while working speaks volumes. Best of luck!

1 Like