ATP St Louis

New pilot here. I just turned 54. Interested in attending ATP StL to keep moving along. I have my private so will be starting with instrument I assume.

Anyone have recent experience with StL? Is it going to take a year or more to get through what I need? Once I get through cfi are there instructor spots in StL? Any problems with aircraft time there?

I sent an email to try and schedule a sit down there but was told the instructors were too busy and I needed to be an active applicant for a tour. Thanks for any input.

Rick,

Welcome to the forum, St. Louis, I don’t recall any active participant on the forum being there. HOWEVER, I always recommend the best way to get some answers is firsthand experience and that would be scheduling an Admissions Flight and getting your feet in the training center to talk with current instructor and students.

Brady

1 Like

Rick,

The thing to keep in mind is there’s such a quick turnover at the training centers, if someone does chime in with a report (positive or negative), chances are the instructor(s) they had may very well have moved on. Regardless what’s most important is ATP works very hard to guarantee the same experience and resources (instructors, airplanes, sims, etc) throughout the network.

To answer your specific questions:

1. the program footprint with credit for your PPL is only 5mos. Even factoring in some buffer for weather and DPE shortage, you’ll def be done far less than a year.

2. there’s absolutely no way of knowing which locations will have open slots when you complete the program. Upon your successful completion you’ll be given a list of available slots. Hopefully one will work for you but there are no guarantees.

3. not sure what you mean by “aircraft time” but if your talking about availability, while ATP did suffer a slowdown due to late deliveries, my understanding is they’re back up to speed at all locations.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I emailed the contact form and was told they are quite busy and cannot accommodate walk in tours and need to be an active applicant in order to come there.

I followed the link to here just to ask a few questions. There was no other info other than a link for an application.

Aircraft availability is what I was alluding to. ATP seems like the best option for someone my age to get things done quickly. A lot of negative Nellie’s the social groups so trying to get some legit info.

Thanks again.

Rick,

ATP has been battling bad press as long as there’s been an internet. The fact is ATP isn’t for everyone. The program is HIGHLY accelerated and requires a 100% commitment. Even then there are some who struggle and ultimately are unsuccessful. The reality is not everyone can or should be flying airplanes. The other reality is ATP has been training pilots for careers in aviation for almost 40yrs and have had over 1,000 grads hired in the last 12mos alone. Long before the pilot shortage ATP grads were getting hired and reduced minimums (when that was an option) when most couldn’t get an interview. If you’re willing to do the work, there is no better, more efficient route to the airlines.

As for the tours, ATP doesn’t spend your money on sales people and the centers are staffed by instructors which doesn’t make visits that easy. I’d complete the application to get the conversation started. You’re under no obligation to go any further should you choose not to.

Adam

1 Like

Hey Rick, Admissions here!

Feel free to give us a call at your convenience so that we may better assist you. If you wish to schedule a tour make sure to fill out an application on the website, and then contact Admissions.

ATP Admissions is available M-F 8am-7pm EST and our phone number is 904-595-7950.**