ATP then college

Hello, everyone. I know I’m going to get a lot of backlash for asking this question. Is it that bad of an idea to go to ATP straight out of high school and get on with a 135 operator flying a Pilatus or Caravan and/or a regional carrier? United Aviate partners with a company called Trade wind and are hiring at 600 hours. After I get on with someone, I would then get an online college degree in business. Side note: when I become an instructor at ATP, will the schedule be less demanding than when a student there?

Alan,

Not sure why you would think that? Unless you consider someone not liking your plan “backlash”? If so that immediately waves a redflag as to your maturity level which is why we generally don’t recommend ATP right after HS.

The Airline Career Pilot Program is highly accelerated and requires a tremendous amount of hardwork and discipline. Something many HS students aren’t equipped yet to handle (for ATP to even consider you as a student without your PPL or a degree you need a GPA of 3.0 or higher and even then admission is not guaranteed).

As for getting your degree after many find it very challenging (even impossible) to complete a 4yr degree while working. Finally to fly for a Regional you must be at least 21yo.

Ultimately it’s up to you but no we don’t think it’s a good idea but this also isn’t “backlash”, simply an opinion from someone with 20+ yrs in the industry.

Adam

Alan,

I understand your reasons for asking and the desire to get ahead with your flying career. We have found over the years that students simply do better when they have a few more years of experience under their belts.

Beyond that though, you should plan on getting a degree. While the majors might not state that they are required, they pretty much are and will help set you apart from other applicants.

Your schedule as an ATP instructor will be just as demanding as a student, it is a full time job that will require a great deal of flexibility. I would save any college work for when you are actually at an airline.

Chris

Alan,

You can do as you choose. The fact that you started out your post knowing we recommend college first but looking for someone to tell you it’s okay says a lot. You’re in high school and the prospect of skipping college and going right to flying is enticing, however, if you’re looking for the path that sets you up for success best listen to the advice of mentors who have way more experience in the industry than you.

Hannah

Thank you, Hannah, for your response. I didn’t say I wasn’t going to go to college; I said that I was going to do an online bachelor’s degree after I go through ATP. Also, doesn’t ATP give you credits toward certain programs?

Alan,

ATP is not a college so it offers no college credits. However, there are an number of schools who will give you credits for your licenses and ratings towards an aviation degree.

Adam

Thank you for clarifying.

I understand you may get to it later but it still delays your advancement in the industry for 4 years while you’re working on it. You’re assuming you’ll get hired without one, at least to a regional. As class dates dwindle, the remaining opportunities get more and more competitive. Without a degree, you’ll be on the bottom of the list while those who do have one get the remaining class dates before you.

Maybe you’re lucky and you get on with a regional. Well the same reality will exist as you try and apply to a major. This time the degree is even more important and as you work to finish yours, other qualified pilots get the jobs and seniority ahead of you.

Hannah

Alan,

We are huge believers in attending some sort of college before flight training and a program like the ACPP. There are MANY reasons that this is recommended, one major being it gives you time to mature a little and develop a sense of studying habits (IMO). If you look at the timeline, two years of college out of high school you would be around the age 19-20, depending on your birthday and enrollment. By the time you would complete a program similar to ATP’s, you would be no later than 21, building flight time and in the meantime could finish up your degree virtually and enter an airline cadet program/pathway if desired. While it is desirable to jump right into the flight training world out of high school and be an airline pilot at 21 years old, it’s not for everyone and timing is a variable figure in this discussion.

If your goal is to fly for United, regardless to all perimeters, a degree would set you up for a better chance. Remember, just because you fly for a P135 company such as Tradewind, you still have to INTERVIEW and be SELECTED for the program… yes, it’s highly competitive. Jumping right into the interview with no college experience may hurt you in the long run as you could lose that opportunity and end up extending your timeframe. This is just something to also think about going forward.

Your schedule at ATP is built around a training footprint that has been designed to efficiently and effectively get you from Zero Time to MEI. When you are a student, your schedule will vary than an instructors schedule because you will have different objectives for the day. As an instructor, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are delivering training to your student. This may involve a full day at the training center or partial, or adjusting an entire day because of weather. There is no same day, as someone who taught as a normal instructor and training center lead, every day was different. Every lesson was different (in some aspects), and delivering the material to different students varied upon their needs. I think the schedule becomes more demanding as you are responsible to ensure your students receive ATP’s core values and become successful pilots.

Brady