ATP trenton

Good day! I hope everyone is well. I am at the point in my life (30 years old) where I am looking for a rewarding career and not “just another job” where it is difficult to just make ends meet. I have seen a lot about pilot shortages over the last several months and I am highly interested in applying for schooling. As someone with 0 experience I would love to know if you all have any advice on how to get started. Is there any tests or books to read before I apply? Should I see if I can shadow someone for a flight etc…
I do have a Bachelors degree and not sure if they look for degrees when applying. My other question would be should I try applying to United Aviate academy or another major airline academy or should I just apply to an ATP school near where I live. The closest seems to be (Trenton). Any advice on how to get started or any ways to prep would be greatly appreciated. Even if it’s just a " they teach you everything you need to know in school". Thank you for your time!

Shawn, there’s a ton of great info in the FAQs as well as on the ATP website. I recommend checking them out.

Thank you Logan!

Shawn,

If you do in fact have “0” experience before you do ANYTHING else you need to fly. There are physical components to flight training that make it very different than most other careers. Until you’ve day upfront at the controls of a small training aircraft you really won’t know for certain if it’s something you really want to do. The fact you enjoy sitting in the back of a Boeing is not the same. Pilot shortage or not, if it’s not something you’re comfortable with its all moot.

Before taking any writtens or literally doing anything else I would schedule an Intro flight or lesson.

Adam

Adam,
I appreciate you responding so quickly and giving that advice. I will definitely schedule an intro flight. Thanks again!

Shawn,

If you did not get the opportunity to call Admissions about scheduling an Introductory Flight, I would give them a call first thing tomorrow morning (during normal business hours). I really enjoyed my time at the Trenton location, from airspace to training environment, it was really fun and the experiences all around were beyond worth it.

Like Adam said, wait to start doing anything written wise until you are 100% sure that this is something you see yourself wanting to do. You will also need to secure financing and a first-class medical certificate before your enrollment (if you desire ATP). Being in control of an airplane is much different than being on a Dreamliner going across the Pacific Ocean.

Brady

That’s great to hear about your experience at Trenton! I will be giving them a call tomorrow to see if I can set up a flight. I appreciate you responding. Have a great evening!