Atp vs. asu

I am 16 years old and will have my private license done by my birthday in 2 months. I was planning on starting my training at ASU this summer along with doing my degree. However, I am considering doing ATP 's program (Not ASU) after completing my private in a couple months. Then, I could transfer my ratings to a school like Utah Valley University and finish my degree that way. Would there be any benefit to this over doing ASU’s program?

Thanks

Robert,

First off the min age to train with ATP is 18 so you really couldn’t start training with ATP even if you have your PPL. Second even if you could and your goal is the airlines you could get hired till you’re 21. Assuming you completed your training with ATP and then built your time in the average 2yrs that still only puts you at 18 leaving 3 years for you to wait. At your age I’d be looking at a university program. You’ve got the time and you’re still in “school mode” so why not take advantage of it.

Adam

1 Like

I thought the minimum age was 18 so that by the time you have 1500 you would be 21?

Robert,

I’m with Adam. Completing an accelerated program at your age won’t get you to an airline any faster. The min age for a commercial license is 18 and the min age for a restricted ATP is 21. Makes more sense to do a 4-year aviation program.

Tory

1 Like

Fast fingers on my part, it is 18. Corrected.

Adam

2 Likes

Hello Tory! So you’re saying that the best option for me is the 4 year program?

That make sense,thanks for your help👏🏼

Just to add another good option is get your ratings now and start building time while doing a degree online because even though you can’t work for part 121 airlines until you’re 21 you can work part 135 or part 91 jobs you could possibly get some TPIC before heading to the airlines.

Niurka,

I don’t know? Is it? My answer was specific to Robert’s situation. If you provide us with more information about yourself, then we can help you.

Tory

Robert,

I think ASU has a good program, I would recommend going there and taking part in their aviation program. As Aaron said though, you could go to flight training and start building your time sooner, thus completing a degree online. Either way will work well and at the end of the day, we probably are not talking about a significant time difference.

Chris