ATP vs United Aviate?

Just started inquiring about making the leap to peruse my dream. Any thought or comments on differences between the ATP program versus the United Aviate program? I’m on the east coast so location is obviously a difference. Thanks!

Vincent,

There are quite a few threads on the subject but here’s the long short.

1. Aviate is EXTREMELY difficult to be accepted into. It’s a new program and is relatively small. While ATP also has requirements, with 83 locations (greater chance there’s one convenient for you) and over 500 airplanes, your chances of acceptance is far greater.

2. Again, since Aviate is relatively new (their first group of CFIs graduated in January), other than a 51 successful flight instructors who are building their time, Aviate has still yet to place a single pilot at United. ATP has been training pilots for the airlines for almost 40yrs. They’ve had over 1,100 hired by airlines in the last 12mos. and thousands since they started.

3. I you choose Aviate you’re tied to United. Not that United is a bad goal but there are other Major airlines to consider and this industry can and does change. I’d be reluctant to put all my eggs in one United basket before you’ve even started training or know more about how this industry works.

That all said the decision is yours, I recommend you do your research and decide what best for you.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks so much! That was super helpful. I was leaning toward ATP anyway. I appreciate you taking the time to respond

:tada: NEXT YEAR IS 40 YEARS. :scream:

Adam pointed out everything factual wise, one thing to add is ATP’s partnered airlines, 38 and who knows what next year holds. Not as interested in United when you start time building, you’re not locked into a contract. Maybe you want to go corporate or charter, ATP may have a connection. When you attend ATP, your options are as open as that asphalted runway, striped with markings guiding you along the way. I’m not a salesperson for ATP, but in the upper left this forum is sponsored by ATP and all mentors are successful graduates now flying in the airlines… across the forum there are tens and hundreds of previous students who now are placed somewhere in the commercial world of aviation.

Brady

1 Like

Vincent,

Unless United is the dream, keep your options open. ATP knows how to train successful pilots plus has all the pathway programs to get you wherever you want to go!

Hannah