Aviation in college

Hi,

Next fall I will be going to college. My college has a 4-year aviation program. now I know that to get into a major airline, they require a bachelor’s degree. But if I do my major in aviation and get a bachelor’s degree would I still be able to get into the major airlines? or would I be in regional?

Rafi,

Absolutely, a four year degree with a major in aviation will qualify you to work at a regional or a major (after building appropriate flight time). I have to ask though, why the major in aviation? We generally recommend majoring in something else so you have a backup plan.

Chris

thank you. I actually didn’t think about that until now. You bring up a very good point, I am considering changing it to something else and having it as a backup plan if aviation doesn’t work. Do you think it would cost more if I did flight school after college?

Rafi,
Your 4 year university with the aviation program, is it a 141 school? Are you asking what would be more expensive, 141 training or college plus flight school after?
-Hannah

Rafi,

That depends on where you decide to get your education and your flight training from, how you pay for both, if you apply for grants or financial aid, etc.

Regardless, I think it’s best to tackle one thing at a time.

Tory

yes it is a 141 school. ya, I am asking if college plus flight after would be more expensive.

Rafi,

That’s kind of like asking what’s more expensive, lunch or dinner? Dinner is usually more expensive but if you’re having lunch at Ruth Chris, and dinner at McDonald’s, then lunch is. Which college are you talking about, which flight school etc etc. There are many variables. Further while we all like to save money, this is an investment in your future and often you get what you pay for.

Long short of you want to be a pilot, Id save money on college and spend it on your flight training.

Adam

Rafi,
Adam’s descriptive is colorful and correct. Hah It really depends how you get it all done. We recommend you save money on college. Spend time at a community college and then finish up at an in state university so you can save as much as you can while still accomplishing a four year degree. That way you are only left with financing flight school.
-Hannah

So my plans were to go to cal state la for a 4 year degree on aviation administration since that’s the most related major to aviation they have, to some what give me an understanding before I go to atp program, my plan after that would be to go to join the ATP program,I was wondering if it’s better to go for the 4 year bachelors or go directly to ATP program and then apply for airlines even if you just attend the ATP program

Johnny

Johnny,

Obviously it’s your decision but a do have a few things to say.

First we always advise college first. The Majors want a degree and it can be challenging to get one after you’re already flying.

Second we almost never recommend aviation degrees. The airlines neither require nor desire them and they offer no backup should flying not work out either by choice or circumstance.

I suggest you consider getting a degree in some other field of study you enjoy.

Adam