Bad habits to fix

Hi, I understand that atp is a fast paced program, and I know you require a lot of self discipline to be successful in this program. I was wondering if you guys have ways to get rid of bad habits, how did you guys succeed at atp, or have you meet any students that have bad habits, how did it go, or how did you fix them. And advise on these habits? I’ve heard that those who come to atp with a PPL have bad habits to fix, was it hard?

Brandon,

Two habits that I personally had to break out of me from a “mom and pop”
school was the phraseology and being behind the airplane. As you progress through ATP, you’ll be training like the airlines, phraseology and staying ahead of the airplane is important.

One thing that I stress to fellow students that come to me for advice from my training center is always be thinking “what can I be doing for the next phase of flight” when the plane is all trimmed out and you’re cruising along. You’ll find quickly that in the instrument phase of training if you fall behind the airplane, phases of flight can have a domino effect and the stress piles on. Being familiar with your checklists can assist you with staying ahead.

There have been some recent debates on the forum for proper phraseology and how to read back certain things, Chris (Pilot Mentor) recommended a document that you as a pilot can study and have an idea of what the FAA is looking for you to read back in a manner of order and context. I believe it was titled “All Clear”; check this thread for more information, it’s a recent one too: [Talking with ATC - #7 by Chris](Talking With ATC)

Hope this kind of helps from my perspective, I really studied the flow of checklist and where things were located in the flight deck which really helped my progress and success.

Brady

1 Like

Brandon,

This is one of the primary reasons I don’t recommend (or really understand) getting your PPL before ATP. While no particular bad habits come to mind, it’s really more of a lack of discipline. As you’re aware ATP prepares pilots for a career in the airlines and that training starts Day 1. Most local flight schools simply want to help you get your PPL. Crew concept, checklist discipline, radio phraseology are often not a consideration or concern. This is totally contradictory to what ATP does.

I think the best way to fix any possible bad habits (aside from starting Day 1 with ATP) is simply to listen to your instructor and be a good student. I can’t tell you how many times I had students say “well at my old flight school we…” or “my last instructor showed me something different”. Not to sound harsh but if you want to stay at your old flight school with your old instructor then stay. If however you’re serious about becoming a professional pilot and recognize that ATPs Career Pilot program is one of the most successful programs in the country, you won’t waste your time holding on to those bad habits. If your instructor shows you something different, accept this is the way you’ll be doing things moving forward. It’s really that simple.

Adam

Ok, I see thank you for the advise, I wanted to get my ppl during college since I already taken the written test for PAR

Brandon,

You can do as you like but please tell me there’s another reason other than “I already taken the written test for PAR”.

Adam

Brandon,

From what I remember I had some bad habits to unlearn myself. I learned to use pitch for airspeed and power for altitude. This is backwards and it made it extremely difficult to fly a stabilized approach. A couple hours in the sim is all it took to fix that problem.

I also felt like my knowledge just wasn’t the same caliber as the other ATP students. I really had to step up. That came with time.

Tory

2 Likes

Hi, before I find this forum, I started at a local flight school, while I do regret why not just do all these training after college, so I can focus on one thing, but I have started the school with them and I figured I should also knockdown a ppl before I come to atp flight school. Back during that time I saw atp’s prerequisites, 21 years old or come with a ppl. I wanted to come to atp during that time, but I can’t due to the requirements.

I do regret my decision, I was not mature enough, I should start after college, but I have started and I should finish it. So I will finish my ppl at a local flight school, then come to atp after college

Brandon,

I got my private at a small, local school and did have a few things to fix, basically differences in call outs. It took me a few flights, but I adapted. Part of being a pilot is being able to learn new procedures and quickly apply them.

When I have switched from one airplane to another, it is always tempting to think: “but on the 737, we did it this way…” but that has no bearing at all on flying an Airbus, so it is important to adapt and change quickly. Listen to your instructor, don’t interject, and try to apply what you have been taught.

Chris

1 Like

Brandon,
Just because you are knocking out your PPL somewhere else doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have bad habits. You are in control of your education. Hopefully you have a great CFI but even if not, read FAA documents and texts yourself. Research topics you feel uneasy on and challenge your instructor to continually challenge you. Once you come to ATP, some things may be different and then comes the time to learn how to adapt. Habits can be hard to break but not impossible. It takes effort, focus and practice and over time, your habits will change.

-Hannah