Entering with your PPL

Hey Chris and Adam,
I know you guys entered the program with your PPL. I will be doing the same. What are some suggestions you may have for starting ATP with a PPL? What were some specific bad habits you had to unlearn when you started the program? Also, Were there any specific skills that you learned doing your PPL training that were helpful during your time at ATP? I did all my PPL training at a non-towered airport, so I feel like the first couple weeks of Instrument training will kick my butt. Let me know if you have any tips or suggestions. Thank!

Lynn,

My best recommendation would be to keep an open mind when you are instructed to do something differently than you learned it before. The worst thing you can do is say “well, at my old flight school we did XYZ”. It doesn’t matter what your old flight school did, what matters is the new expectation going forward.

The same will apply when you switch airlines or airplanes. We all have a tendency to think “well the 737 does this” or the “Airbus did that” when in training for a new and different airplane. It is really important to be able to leave that behind and focus on the task at hand.

Good question.

Chris

1 Like

Lynn,

I’m 100% with Chris on this one. While your skills and knowledge will help you be receptive to your new instructor and the program. The Law of Primacy says what we learn first has the strongest impact so there’s def a tendency to want to hold on to that. Being aware of that and resisting the desire to resist will help tremendously.

Adam

Lynn,

I too started ATP with a PPL. My old school taught me to pitch for airspeed and use power for altitude. This method works (sort of) for forward CG aircraft. ATP teaches the opposite. It didn’t take long to adjust and flying an instrument approach became a lot easier once I got the hang of it.

Tory

Pitch for airspeed and power for altitude has to be one of the dumbest theories in aviation. I would point out that the method that ATP teaches is exactly what the airlines teach.

I could not agree more. I think the method comes from the Stick and Rudder handbook. Once I understood the correct use of pitch and power everything started to make much more sense.

Tory

Can you guys please point me to a resource that explains your method? Because that’s exactly how I’ve been taught to fly an approach…

Sergey,

If you are currently being taught another way, then you should continue using that method until you go to a flight school that teaches otherwise.

That being said, you don’t need a resource to explain it. Simply fly the airplane like you are driving a car. Use throttle to control speed and the yoke to control your pitch and path angle.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks, Chris! I am still deciding on whether to knock out the last 10 hours of my requirements and enter with a PPL or whether to go in as a 0-hour student. My previous flight instructors all taught me to transition to the pitch-for-airspeed rule on final, so that’s why I asked.

Sergey,

I’m not aware of any resources off the top of my head either. It’s probably best to wait until your CFI can teach you anyway.

Tory

1 Like

Sergey,

If you’re only 10hrs away, why wouldn’t you enter with your PPL and save the money?

Adam

That’s what I’m leaning towards. I have 9 hours of solo and 0.3 of instrument left. With recurrent training and checkride prep I estimate it would take me about 25 hours to wrap it up. Then I’ll have to build another 15 hours or so for the ATP minimums. That’s a decision I will have to make very soon.

Sergey,
ATP does have a PPL finish up, but it is an extra $4,995.
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/private-finis

Sergey,

I have to tell you, if I was within ten hours of finishing my PPL at a school, I would stay there and do it. Now if this is one of those “ten hours” that is really going to take twenty hours and three months, that is a different story.

Chris

Unfortunately, It’s the latter. It’s been a few years since I’ve flown and I won’t qualify for finish up through ATP either as I’m required to have completed my solo cross country phase. I’ve only done dual XC.

Sergey,

You could possibly be looking at even more than 25 hours with the situation you describe, it would really depend on how much you have retained.

Chris

Chris,

I have the same Sergey situation 40 flight hours in PLL and I’m done with three XC dual (two in the day & one at night) and I decided to move to ATP, my last flight was May 2nd.

Any suggestion to accomplish my PLL at my current flight school or at ATP?

Hasan.

Hasan,

Ideally I recommend doing the finish up with ATP. You’ll get to spend quality time with ATPs instructors and aircraft and get on jump on your training. The big question is (in my mind) how soon are you looking to start with ATP? If it’s not going to be for a while I’d hate to see you lose all the skills and knowledge you’ve accumulated and essentially start again (these are perishable skills) so I’d recommend you keep flying as you have and finish up like that. But if you’re planning on starting soon and you’ve made the decision that ATP is the way to go then why not just get started with the program right away. Here’s a link to the “Finish Up” page which has a cost calculator based on your time: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/private-finish-up.html

Adam

Hasan,

I would need more information than that. It really depends on how close you ACTUALLY are to finishing your PPL. Meeting the requirements on paper is one thing, being in a position to pass the test is quite another.

Chris

Adam,

I’m in contact with ATP representitive, but what is making me confuse is how can I start the finish up program with ATP, I’m trying to find a way in the link that you provided to enroll myself. The enrollment option that avialble is for from zero experience only. I took my decision to start to accomplished my program with ATP.

I’m trying to start the process to finish up my PLL with 80 fh under part 61.

Note: last flight for me was in this month (May 2nd).

Any suggession?

Hasan.