Base Change upon promotion

Hey Pilots!

I have a question about assigned base changing upon promotion in seniority/aircraft/etc.

I understand as you build seniority you get to bid on a base you want. But what happens if you get that base assigned and you get promoted to another aircraft with higher pay would they assign you a new base?

I’m asking this because when reaching my final destination airline I choose to settle in I would like to move and live on base. But I wouldn’t want to move again if I get promoted to a better aircraft to a whole new base.

So I was just wondering if assigned bases change as you upgrade aircrafts or if you can keep the one you already have with the new aircraft promotion?

Thank you, Androu

Androu,

The nice thing about being a pilot is that no one can force you into an airplane or a base unless you specifically bid for it. There are some other less common ways of transitioning into a different aircraft (see Adam’s post below), but generally speaking if you like the airplane that you are flying you can stay and you will stay, unless you bid out of it.

I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean by promotion. Promotions aren’t really a thing at the airlines. Not in the way that a promotion is commonly understood in the corporate world, that is. Pilots can upgrade, downgrade and transition. While an upgrade is sort of like a promotion, it isn’t the same thing.

Same goes for an FO that transitions from a 717 FO to a 777 FO, for example. While some may say that transitioning from a 717 to a 777 would be similar to a promotion, it isn’t. It’s a transition. You are still an FO in this example, just flying a different airplane. But of course, I am only using this as an example.

Some pilots may prefer to fly a 717 over anything else and would consider everything else a downgrade. Maybe the 717 provides for a better quality of life? It’s subjective.

Getting back to your question, as I said you have to bid for transitions, upgrades, base changes, etc. So don’t worry. It’s not like the Chief Pilot is going to surprise you with a promotion after achieving your 5th year of service to the company or something like that.

Higher seniority yields stronger bidding power, thats it.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you Captain Tory!
That makes a lot of sense I appreciate it.
Androu

You are welcome. You can call me Tory. Plus, I became an FO in January. It wouldn’t be appropriate for me to accept that title :wink: but thank you.

Tory

Androu,

I’m going to disagree with Tory slightly on this one. While Tory is correct, under normal circumstances you will never be forced from your base or airplane of choice, however circumstances sometimes do arise that could require it. If say for example a base closes, an airplane type gets retired or there’s a dramatic economic downturn and there are furloughs, you could be “displaced”. Again this doesn’t happen often, but it does happen.

Now back to your original question, if when you upgrade could you lose your base? The answer is maybe but the good news is the choice will be yours. As we always say seniority governs everything at the airline and your relative seniority not only determines whether or not you can upgrade, but the base that goes with that upgrade. Everyone is jumping up and down with excitement that Delta is boasting upgrades in under a year which is true. But that upgrade is for NY 717 and 737. If you fly for Delta and are based in ATL you have a choice. You can bid and take that NY upgrade which means you will need to change bases or remain an FO in ATL and wait for an opening in ATL that you can hold seniority wise.
Your choice.

The only other caveat is in very rare circumstances if no one bids a particular base, plane or seat, you could be “junior manned” and be forced to move, but again that’s very rare.

Adam