Becoming an airline pilot with an expunged misdemeanor record

Dear aviators,
I think I should start with apologizing for my stupid mistake that I made.
I was charged with a misdemeanor of a petty theft back in 2019 and I was 27 years old.
It is the biggest thing I regret in my life. I can elaborate a bit more in detail but I’ll just skip it. I don’t want to make an excuse. I take full responsibility for my action.
I went through Pre-trial diversion program so the case is dismissed and the record is expunged as well, but I know that the federal background check can see everything.
Ever since that happened, I’ve kept my record clean. Not even a speeding or parking ticket.
I have bachelor’s degree of Robotics and Master’s degree of Aeronautics.
I am not an US citizen but I have an opportunity to legally work for 3 years in the US starting from next January.
Now I have 1200hrs of flight time and willing to build 300hrs more as a CFI and apply to a regional.
My dream is to be an airline pilot in the US but I am scared that I ruined my career…
Do you think any regional will even hire me with this misdemeanor record?
It will be really appreciated if you give me some advices on my situation.

+Sorry for my broken English.

Sincerely,
Ray

Ray,

I honestly have no idea. I would recommend reaching out to the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and asking them directly. I can tell you that no company is a fan of thievery.

Chris

Ray,

We are not recruiters, human resource employees, we are airline pilots.

1. You must have U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Card to work in the U.S.

2. Your charges are “recent,” 4 years is not that long, but if you’ve kept clean and have a good flight training record, it could play in favor.

As Chris said, you should be contacting a few recruitment teams, inquiring them, telling them the WHOLE story, and see what they have to say. Afterall, you’ll be seeing them in person, instead of over phone/email if you apply and get offered an interview.

Brady

Ray,

Usually Id say you wouldn’t have a problem (provided you have the correct
status citizen wise). The wild card is IF you do get an interview explaining to an old crusty like me why you came to this country and thought it was appropriate to commit a crime? That would also beg the question what your record looks like back in you home country.

For me it would be a pass.

Adam