Best flight school in Texas that’s affordable

Hi, I’m 18 years old I’ve recently got into aviation and I wanted to attend flight school after High School but I don’t know the average cost of flight school or is there even in my city I currently living in Houston Texas but willing to relocate somewhere in Texas

Emaureon,

I just moved from the Houston area, and there are several, as it is quite a large city. Off hand I know of a couple schools at Ellington Field, David Wane Hooks airport, Pearland regional. Several flying clubs that do freelance instruction as well, particularly at Pearland.

Additionally, if you call the FBO at your local airport and inquire about flight training, they can point you in the right direction.

As far as quality of these schools I can’t speak directly, but you can only pick two of the three when it comes to training; quick, cheap, and good.

It’s also recommend at your age, if your goal is the airlines, to first get a bachelor’s degree, as nearly all of the major airlines highly prefer candidates with one.

-Galen

Emaureon,

I’m sure there are plenty flight schools in your area. If your goal is to be a professional pilot and maybe fly for the airlines you should a) know that at some point you’re going to need a 4yr degree, and b) consider training full-time at an aviation academy like ATP. There really is no faster or more efficient route to a career in aviation.

Www.ATPFlightSchool.com

Adam

Is college necessary because I’m not a big fan on going after h.s I wanted to work and go to flight school and hopefully soon earn a pilot license

Emaureon,

Regional airlines, (Envoy, Skywest, PSA, Horizon, etc.) all don’t require a degree. Salaries there top out around $150K.
Some of the “low tier” low-cost carriers (Spirit, Allegiant) might occasionally hire pilots without a bachelor’s. Salaries here can get to $250K.
Major airlines (American, Delta, United, Alaska, Hawaiian) all strongly prefer those with a bachelor’s degree. Maybe some of the pilot mentors who work at the majors can chime in if they know any pilots at their airline without one. Salaries can reach $400K with these airlines.

So there are options, just not the best. Dealer’s choice.

-Galen

1 Like

Emaureon,

Tons of answers already to this question “is college necessary,” highly recommend checking out the FAQ section. While college is not required to get into a Regional airline, you’re shortening your chances for growth in the industry by not having the degree if you want to get a shot at the Majors.

Do I Need A College Degree To Be An Airline Pilot?

Brady