Best flight simulator software for home

Hey guys I just invested in a flight simulator (Redbird complete set up). I have to select software to buy and so far I have heard Microsoft flight simulator, X-plane, and Prepar3d. I would like to know from a few pilots what are the best recommended software. Cost is not a factor. I would like something that is going to train me the best.

I am very aware that there isn’t a simulation out there that is better than an actual plan.

Donovan,

I don’t know any pilots who play with flight sim games. You’re better off going on a gaming forum.

Adam

Donovan, from what I’ve heard Microsoft Flight simulator is one of the best. It is probably the most realistic out of the three.

Donovan,

If you want to play around for fun, by all means. But in terms of training, don’t bother. Most flight schools have the devices you need to supplement your training. Those devices are FAA approved and the time can be logged. You’re at home device most certainly will not, and you risk unknowingly creating bad habits that can be hard to change later.

Hannah

Donovan,

If the goal is to start your training, I would put the money towards actual flight training. Flight Simulator is a game, not a training device.

Chris

Rushan,

I disagree with you, I have Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12 on my computer when I do VATSIM stuff, and MSFS does not have the things that X-Plane (Commercial License) has to offer. There is a reason Redbird has software such as X-Plane on there, but as always, a simulator doesn’t substitute actual in plane physics and feeling.

I am with Chris, put the money of a Redbird simulator into real life training.

Brady

If you’re serious about flight training, save your money and put it towards flight training. I doubt anyone has ever walked in off the street with hundreds or thousands of hours of FS experience and flew a 172 at a solo level, let alone a PPL checkride level.

Without a doubt, you can learn a lot from a home desktop sim, but its gonna be stuff like where the buttons and switches are so youre not using up expensive real world time looking for them while running real world checklists. Its great for trying out real world scenarios you would never get to safely do in training, like dialing up 1/4mile visibility and shooting an ILS in a steam gauge single engine prop by keeping the VOR gauge needles centered.

What you shouldn’t do is think you can learn to fly on a desktop sim. Like everyone said, you don’t get any feeling of motion or 360deg immersion of being in a real plane, and instead you’ll compensate for that by flying by instruments. Probably not the worst thing to learn instrument scans and all that, but your instructor will be pissed at your for flying by instruments instead of by looking out the window your first number of real world hours. That happened to me, I spent probably 5 hours trying to break the habit of being eyes down on the dash because that’s all I knew from MSFS experience.

You wouldn’t train for war by playing Call of Duty, so don’t train for real world flying with a desktop sim. Its a game, its a lot of fun and with a few payware addons can be very realistic, but it doesn’t replace a real plane