Best Path to ATP and Admisions

Hello all,

Thank you for the great advice on pursuing aviation! I took an Intro flight and I loved everything about it (felt the excitement in my bones) to a a degree where I saw it as an endeavor passion that I could do 24/7 and do what it takes to get there! Now that It is clear to me that I want to pursue this career, I have more questions regarding best path to take if one is interested in going to ATP program:

1. financially, is it better to start with PPL and head to ATP knowing that there are local flight schools 
    that could be much cheaper to get PPL first? since ATP is approximately about 87k coming in with 
    PPL.

2. How would getting PPL at local part 61 flight school impact where to start and what is learned at 
     ATP since ATP is part  141, with a specific and set standards? 

3. On average and based on your experience, how much debt (Coming in with and without PPL, 
     housing at APT at the Tucson, AZ location) would a student come out of ATP if loans were taken 
     and they were diligent and worked hard with very little distractions?

4. What is the probability one would be admitted into ATP; possessing just bachelors or Bachelors with PPL with great credit score as well as possessing an accredited certified Personal training Certificate from National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)?

Thanks,
Haile

Haile,

1. You have to keep in mind that to get credit for your PPL you also need at least 78hrs. After building that time you may find the cost difference isn’t so great, particularly if your training isn’t consistent which is often the case.

2. ATP is Part 61 not 141. You may have to learn some different ATP procedures but it shouldn’t be that difficult a transition.

3. There’s no way of us knowing as we have no idea what you’re living expenses are etc. I suggest you contact ATP Finance and have a conversation.

4. With the above Id say your chances are strong but ultimately it’s up to admissions. Again that would be a good conversation to have with them.

Adam

Haile,

1. I would disagree that a PPL is cheaper at most other schools. Sure, they may quote you a lower price, but that price is almost always based on the FAA minimum flight hours needed to obtain a rating, very few people get their licenses so fast. Even if you do obtain it in such time, you will still need 78 hours of flight time to enter ATP’s program.

2. I got my private at a part 141 local school and then went to ATP for everything else. The transition was not difficult, except for learning a few new policies and procedures. I will say that the reason I switched from the local school after getting my PPL was that they were such a disaster to flight train with. They had a limited fleet and it is way over scheduled. It was very difficult to fly even a few times per week, let alone every day. It took me way longer than should have and cost more money than I was quoted tog et my PPL.

3.Talk to Kirk at ATP finance, he is the expert on all such things.

1. I think you have a strong case for admission, but the only way to find out is to apply.

Chris

Haile,

1. Getting your PPL outside of ATP can actually cost more, things are out of your control which could delay training and create setbacks. A program like ATP, has barriers that sort of prevent things from drawing major delays; however, they can still happen like weather, maintenance, DPE delays. At a smaller-scale school, you could run into instructor availability along with the above situations. ATP does a very good job at recognizing if a student starts to fall behind and implements training plans to get students caught back up.

2. ATP is Part 61. I found myself bringing in bad habits from training outside of ATP that quickly broke, but I didn’t have the oriented training that I did when I attended ATP. The transition for everyone is different to many variables between individuals to say this or that.

3. Any financial questions should be directed towards ATP Finance Department, they’re the experts and licensed professionals to discuss that stuff.

4. Applying is the only way to know if you’d be accepted. Acquire the above prerequisites and you should have a good chance. Who knows what the market will look like when it comes time to applying.

Brady

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. Where would I find Kirk’s contact information to reach out regarding admissions and financing?

Thanks,
Haile

Call the main number and ask for him.

904-595-7950