Better acceptance chances?

Hello pilot life folk,

I am newer to world of flying but have quickly fallen in love with it and have been told a ton of great things about it from seasoned pilots I know.

It seems I am in a common spot of my life which has me stuck working my job and being self relient. This has made it pretty difficult to get time in the air. I would love to pursue this carrer and really want to learn with ATP to start on the best possible path.

Im a 24 year old with no college background (I have been working full time since I was 18). I know a college degree helps a ton but I dont see that being something i could reasonably do.

I had applied for ATP in early September and was not quite eligible unfortunately. The Director of Admissions, Eric sent me an email giving me hope saying I could always reapply, and if I have my private license next time I apply my chances of approval will be higher. That being said I think it would take me somewhere between 1 - 3 years to be able to get that and still have enough funds to cover price of living for the duration of the program. I’m more than willing to do that if thats what it takes, but I wanted to come here and see whay others have to say.

Is there anything else I could do to make my application stand out more? I’d love to get started on this path as soon as I can. Any notes back will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

-Jason

Jason,

ATP is very competitive and open slots are hard to come by. ATP has suggested getting your PPL but you don’t want delay or spend the money, and you also say you know a degree would help but that also doesn’t work for you. These are 2 of the significant items ATP looks for in an applicant. The majority of successful applicants have one or both and would definitely increase your chances. Either takes time and dedication to complete which is what ATP is looking for. With that in mind I’m curious what you think would be an acceptable alternative?

Adam

Hello Adam,

I do plan on persuing a PPL on my own time, and have been working on as I said it will just take more time as i have to keep building the funds over time to get the hours needed.

I am more than happy to do what is required to the best of my ability! I was just wondering if there were any other smaller factors that could help make me stand out? (Examples being a letter of recommendation, or history in an aviation field of work.)
It just occured to me that the applicants accepted for the Zero to Hero plan are likely college graduates since as you said they have already completed one of the significant items ATP is looking for.

Perhaps I have been overly optimistic and didn’t think of it that way until just now. Thinking of it from that perspective I understand why I would not have been selected as a Zero to Hero applicant.

That all being said it just motivates me to get my PPL more and try applying again.
May I ask you, would it be of any benefit to keep applying throughout the course of getting my PPL, or would you sugguest not applying again until after I have gotten it?

-Jason

Jason,

I would wait till you’re done with your PPL but it can’t hurt to ask. Your call.

Adam

Jason,

ATP wants to see the degree or a PPL license to help determine if you’ve got what it takes to be successful in the program. If you can’t demonstrate either, your chances of being admitted are slim. It’s honestly in your best interest. It’s a lot of money and a big risk.

Take a look at the website and read all the prerequisites carefully. Choose one path and stick with it. I wouldn’t recommend reapplying until you meet those requirements.

Hannah

Jason,

If Eric told you to get your PPL and then reapply, then that is exactly what I would do. I would not apply until you had the PPL in hand. A PPL combined with a high score on your private pilot written exam would help (make sure to photocopy it).

Chris

Noted, I will stick to my path of getting a PPL and go from there.

Thank you Hannah!

Noted, I will shoot for the stars on the written exam!

Thank you Chris!