Post high school question

Hello, I plan to start pursuing my dream as a pilot next spring and was looking forward to applying to ATP, I graduate high school in January and wasn’t planning on going to college and just going to flight school. Say I get accepted into ATP and complete the whole program that “fast tracks” you into an airline, am I guaranteed a job at a regional, and in the future a major?

Reece,

First off with no college, and no flying or work experience your chances of getting into ATP are slim. The slots are very competitive and without some indication you’ll be able to successfully complete the program chances are you won’t be accepted.

As for guarantees there are none. Just as law or medical school doesn’t guarantee you a job, neither does flight school. The fact is you might not be very good pilot. There’s currently a pilot shortage and if you do well (and have no issues on your record) chances are you will get hired but bust a few too many checkrides, have some skeletons (DUI, accident or incident, or simply be someone who can’t conduct themselves well in an interview) and you might not. Further, flying for a Major is the pinnacle of our industry and the Majors still prefer a 4yr degree for a position. That doesn’t mean you can’t get hired without one but it definitely lowers your chances.

Adam

Hey Adam, thanks for the response, I have no criminal history, not even a speeding ticket, 2 years of mixed work in retail and the service industry, 3.4 GPA, and will have a PPL with the required 78 hours by the time I plan to start, does the change anything?

Reece,

The PPL should def help but ATP admin makes the call. I’d start the enrolling enrollment process sooner than later (6-9mos out) to be certain.

Still no guarantees career wise.

Adam

Reece,

The major airlines will still most likely want see a four year degree. You are taking huge risk with your career by not getting one. I would strongly urge you to consider college first, then flight training.

Chris

Reece,

You need to go for an introductory or discovery flight. You did not mention any prior flight experience, just that you would love to pursue. How can you pursue a career you’ve never dipped your toes into? I find it astonishingly how many individuals say “I am going to become a pilot,” that never completed a discovery flight (and I’m not talking about prodigies here).

As both Adam and Chris mentioned, if you barely meet ATP’s prerequisites, the chances get slimmer as competitive candidates apply. ATP is a highly sought school for many, there are some that don’t get an acceptance letter because of how competitive it is. I vote to attend college and get a degree, then look towards ATP. You could start training for the PPL during college if you wanted to grow a better portfolio, but plan to fly multiple times a week to retain previously learned skills.

Brady

I did forget to mention that I’ve taken around 4 flight lessons, and in the next couple weeks, I am starting a weekly schedule of flight training.

Reece,

Is the flight training you are starting working towards your PPL? Once you start that you’ll need to consistently keep flying to keep your skills sharp. If you apply to ATP and don’t get in even with the PPL, you’ll be at a cross roads. You could start working towards your degree and keep the PPL current or get the rest of your training done at a different school. Just some things to think about before rushing in to flight training…

Hannah